Cheap site to get Mountain House foods

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
romann

Cheap site to get Mountain House foods

Post by romann » August 18th, 2015, 11:48 pm

My local sports stores all at once stopped selling these large 2- and 2.5-serving Mountain House bags and replaced them with 1-serving bags for 2/3 of the price. I usually eat the whole 2-serving bag for dinner, so that meant I have to take twice the packaging with me, hassle more when cooking, and pay more for it.

First thought was to get old-style bags on Amazon, but after doing some research at work (don't tell my boss ;) ) found much better deal on Campsaver - plus they have a sale, and free shipping on large orders. Check it out: http://www.campsaver.com/camp-hike/camp ... dried-food
Attachments
DSC_4083.JPG
Still can't recall how I ordered 31 bags

BurnsideBob

Re: Cheap site to get Mountain House foods

Post by BurnsideBob » August 19th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Try Costco. They sell a boxed assortment of Mountain House meals, with serving size 2.5 to 3 per package. The meals in the assortment change year to year, but the price is great. This year the entrees were Stroganoff, Spaghetti, and Chicken with Rice, with a couple 2 serving packages of eggs/sausage/hash browns and Apple Strudel thrown in. The Salem store had them spotted in both their seasonal camping section and in the cracker/boxed prepared food section. You might call the store to confirm availability before burning the gas to drive over.

If you like Kind Bars, Costco has been selling boxes of 9 Maple Pecan, 9 Dark Chocolate for $17.99, which kinda beats you know what out of a certain well known sports retailer's $2.00/bar price. Availability spotty, as these seem to sell out FAST.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Tamey

Re: Cheap site to get Mountain House foods

Post by Tamey » August 31st, 2015, 2:31 pm

My problem with buying Mountain house foods at Costco is that I do not eat Pork or Beef. Any meal I'd get in the bulk box of Mountain House foods sold by Costco, would mean most of meals would not be edible for me.

I must choose meals with legumes, rice, chicken or turkey. Maybe even fish.

T