Canister stove issue

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
ViewfinderPCT

Canister stove issue

Post by ViewfinderPCT » August 18th, 2015, 9:02 pm

I have an Optimus Crux Lite stove, which I have used without any problems primarily on Snowpeak Gigapower canisters (maybe something else too, can't remember for sure). I'm going on a short trip at the end of the month and don't want to bring a big canister, so I bought a small one, made by Optimus. However, I just tried putting my stove on it, and it spewed some liquid gas and vapor at a point just before it was fully tightened. The same thing happened as I unscrewed it. I put the stove on a Snowpeak canister to make sure it wasn't a defect in the stove, and it did not happen. There obviously should not be any compatibility issues. Did I just get a bad canister? Any ideas why this happened?

NW Yeti

Re: Canister stove issue

Post by NW Yeti » August 19th, 2015, 12:08 am

That's "normal" until the full canister level drops. Mine did the same thing for the first two days of a six day hiking trip. After that none leaked out.
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!