Gear replacement wish lists: Go!

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
sprengers4jc

Gear replacement wish lists: Go!

Post by sprengers4jc » August 3rd, 2015, 7:56 am

Jello's Heavy Gear post got me thinking: if I had the money to replace only one piece of gear right now, what would it be, and why? I didn't want to jack his thread so figured I would start a new one :).

As a backpacker, I am always trying to figure out how we can enjoy our trips as much as possible. I am not an ounce counter but I also don't want to go any heavier than we currently carry (about 25 pounds for me, including water and my camera equipment, and 17 pounds for my wife). For me, if we could shave a few pounds off, it would leave room for us to bring a couple of luxury items. As an example, I have a degenerative spine disease and sitting awkwardly without lumbar support can be painful in camp. Though I have scoffed at them previously, a couple of the tiny lightweight chairs would go a long way toward making our offseason trips more pleasant since we could set them up in the tent for playing cards, etc. when the sun has gone down at 5 p.m. and we have 6 hours 'til we are ready for bed. To make that room in our packs, despite how much I love them, I would replace our Big Agnes Encampment 15 bags with an Enlightened Equipment Accomplice (20 degree, 900 fill, regular) to save about 4 lbs, allowing some room for those chairs and still saving a couple of pounds while we are at it.

Second item on the wish list to replace would be to upgrade our tent to a double-wall tarptent-style setup, which would offer us a lot more room than we currently have, and would save weight, too.

So, fellow hikers and backpackers, what piece of gear would you replace in your setup, and why?
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

kinkilla

Re: Gear replacement wish lists: Go!

Post by kinkilla » August 3rd, 2015, 7:03 pm

As somebody who just did a solo overnighter carrying the old family 4 man, 4-season REI tent (research says its the REI Mountain Hut 4, clocking in at 9 lbs), a new UL two man tent is on the radar. My back and feet will thank me tenfold.
Kincaid Murray

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 3rd, 2015, 9:24 pm

kinkilla wrote:As somebody who just did a solo overnighter carrying the old family 4 man, 4-season REI tent (research says its the REI Mountain Hut 4, clocking in at 9 lbs), a new UL two man tent is on the radar. My back and feet will thank me tenfold.
For being a 4 person, 4 season tent, that actually sounds pretty light! 8-) Other than being positively palatial at camp for one person, though, I could see where that would get old quickly. Best of luck finding a replacement that is more suited for soloing! :)
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 4th, 2015, 6:51 am

I'de like to replace my silnylon pyramid tent with a cuben version - 24 ounces vs 16 ounces. MLD has some good models but I'de probably make something myself - 60 inch peak.

I don't think I could tell if I had a pound lighter or heavier, so saving 8 ounces is not really important, unless I can also reduce another 8 ounces elsewhere.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 4th, 2015, 7:53 am

my main bag is a 0deg that weight about 4lbs. Been wanting to get a Western Mountaineering bag, like the Kodiak MF, 0deg weighs 3lbs or the Versalite; 10deg/2lbs… but the 6 to 700 dollars for these just so I can save 1 to 2 lbs base weight means I “cant notice a couple pounds give or take”…. Lol

If I got the Versalite my baseweight would be under 10lbs.

Awhile ago the first thing I did was replace my mt hardware tent with a silnylon 6MD Haven, dropped ~5.5lbs baseweight. If I applied the same weight to price formula as above I could save another ~1.5lbs if I dropped about 600 bucks on the cuben fiber Haven…. Which means “I don’t notice a pound or so” even though my base weight would probably be around only 8lbs.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » August 4th, 2015, 8:33 am

I've never spent that much time worrying about pack weight but this thread is kind of making me want to go home and enter data for all my gear in a spreadsheet.

I suspect I could save a few pounds by upgrading the bag and tent but the $/lb would probably be terrifying.

My best bet would be to end my love affair with tasty food and carry fewer pounds of me along the trail.

Koda

Post by Koda » August 4th, 2015, 8:51 am

kaltbluter wrote:I've never spent that much time worrying about pack weight but this thread is kind of making me want to go home and enter data for all my gear in a spreadsheet.

I suspect I could save a few pounds by upgrading the bag and tent but the $/lb would probably be terrifying.

My best bet would be to end my love affair with tasty food and carry fewer pounds of me along the trail.
my problem with the bags is I need a colder one, with the exception of this summer I often need a 0° bag even in summer. 20° bags are sometimes fairly affordable but UL 0° bags are not.

few years ago I switched to UL gear when I had the few extra bucks I upgraded my tent, pack and sleeping pad. My baseweight went from about 18lbs to about 12 now (my goal was 10). When my current bag starts to wear out I will replace it with the Western Mountaineering bag I've always wanted but I take care of my gear so that may be a while.

Unless you want a 0° UL bag the terrifying cost doesn't have to be though. We did a thread a few years ago on affordable UL gear that brought the total baseweight investment down to being fairly affordable.... (Totals: $493.24/140.15oz/8.76 lbs)

viewtopic.php?p=72450
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Chazz

Post by Chazz » August 10th, 2015, 11:29 am

I'd swap my Osprey Atmos 50L pack for a ULA Circuit.