Heavy gear

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
greenjello85

Heavy gear

Post by greenjello85 » August 2nd, 2015, 7:16 pm

I did a few short backpacks when I was younger but I haven't done any in a long time for various reasons. I recently decided that I would like to start again so I pulled out my old gear and did some research online about ultralight packing. First, I packed what I thought would be a good setup for a 5 day trip and then pulled everything out and weighed it all out. My total was around 40 pounds. I compared this with some of the online totals and knew I should be able to cut a lot of weight out without sacrificing too much comfort. I couldn't believe the weight differences between what I considered nice gear at the time (more than a decade ago) and what's available now!

My current pack, while in almost new condition, weighs in at a whopping 7 pounds 4 ounces while the ULA catalyst I'm looking to replace it with weighs in at 3 pounds.
My sleeping bag was 4 pounds 3 ounces while the enlightened equipment Revelation is a mere 1 pound 8 ounces in a long, wide, format with the more water resistant fabric.
My tent is 4 pounds 1 ounce with ground cover. I haven't figured out what I'm going to replace this with yet (as this makeover has blown my hiking budget for the next couple years :lol: ) but I'll get something around 2 pounds.

15 pounds 8 ounces vs 6 pounds 8 ounces. I get to drop more weight than a gallon of water!

Next I went through item by item and knocked out another 8 pounds of items I didn't think I really needed. This was my favorite weight savings as it was free of charge :lol: Now I'm looking at what can be cheaply upgraded to knock off more weight. The last big savings (and perhaps most expensive) will come from clothes. I have a total of 6.85 pounds of clothing but I'm not sure what I'd eliminate. I plan to slowly replace my hiking clothes with lighter versions. I'll probably never make it into true ultralight territory but I like the less weight, hike farther concept :) I hike in less popular areas that are very neglected so I carry a midsized saw and a machete to clean them up a bit as I go. That adds about 3 pounds I can easily ditch on more popular trails. As a percentage, my no food/water pack weight is now close to 10% of my body weight so that seems reasonable to me.

renegadepilgrim

Re: Heavy gear

Post by renegadepilgrim » August 2nd, 2015, 9:45 pm

Going light is one of the best things I ever did! Next Adventure has presentations on going light sometimes. I've given one for women specifically, but there is usually a general one at least once or twice a year.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim