Sun Protection Hat

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
rainrunner

Sun Protection Hat

Post by rainrunner » July 3rd, 2015, 8:43 pm

I am currently looking for a new hat to hike in and I am looking for advice / recommendations.
Right now I either use my Nike ball cap or my Headsweats Protech Hat which has a neck flap.
The Headsweats seems to keep me too warm since the neck flap rights right on my neck and ears, so I am interested in a hat that would have a brim.

Right now I am looking at Sunday Afternoons Cruiser Hat

or Sunday Afternoons Charter Hat

Does anyone use sun protection brimmed hats, if so what brand.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thx Kevin
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Peder

Re: Sun Protection Hat

Post by Peder » July 3rd, 2015, 9:43 pm

I just got one like this and I am very happy with it.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » July 3rd, 2015, 9:53 pm

Dear Kevin:

I dusted off my 12 year old Outdoor Research hat for a four day back pack in the current heat. It has an asymmetrical brim--wider at the back than front--so it keeps the sun off your neck without stopping air flow. It is flexible enough you can fold it and stow it in your pants pocket, and it has velcro on it so that you can "pin" one side up Aussie style.

The hat's flexibility is annoying in windy conditions, but that same flexibility allows it to bend and give when you are wearing a back pack that comes up as high or higher than the hat brim.

I've used hats with stiffer brims, and when you look up at that condor, UFO, what have you, the hat gets pushed out of place on your head. The hats you mention might be flexible enough for this not to be a problem, but looking at them that would be my concern--fine for no pack or day pack but problematic for use with big packs.

Oh, and the Outdoor Research hat's brim is black on the underside--does not reflect light--a useful feature for use in bright environments.

I did have a hat similar to the one Peder is suggesting--very high tech with vents and reflective top. A little warm, so I would take the neck piece off--left it on a tree in the Eagle Cap!!. Oh well. That and the neck piece would get pinched between my back and pack, so the hat wouldn't move with my head.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 3rd, 2015, 11:22 pm

I've been wearing an Outdoor Research "Sombriolet" for the last couple years, and I'm not fond of it because the foam brim has too much structure to it. My old Columbia "boonie" hat was floppier and more comfortable.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 4th, 2015, 5:01 am

Any hat that feels good and covers the back - either a brim all the way around or a flap

I have a Sunday Afternoon Charter that's fit good. The chin strap fits in a pocket underneath the top so I can pull it out just when I need it - I don't like chin straps.

And Columbia boonie is good

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 4th, 2015, 7:59 am

I picked up one of these at an end-of-summer sale last fall. Haven't used it more than a couple times so far, but I think I like it.
The neck flap folds into the brim in back, is thin enough not to be noticed, and can't get "lost." So far, I haven't felt the need to deploy that, as the brim really seems to block all that's needed. Remember too, with a kite like this, that chinstrap is virtually mandatory! :) I just wear the strap behind my head on a calm day.

I noticed the webpage says it's gray, but the photos there certainly don't look like it. The one I have is definitely more gray than shown, though...
    View from above.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » July 4th, 2015, 8:35 am

Karl, would this hat work on level ground? ;)
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 4th, 2015, 9:13 am

rainrunner wrote:Karl, would this hat work on level ground? ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shoot, it even works sitting down!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » July 4th, 2015, 2:21 pm

For the past 4 years, I've worn the Sun Day Afternoons Adventure Hat:

I love it. I think it's one of my favorite pieces of gear. Having the cape in the back makes a huge difference in neck protection. I treated it with DWR spray, and it sheds rain pretty well. It packs well and has held up to a lot of use.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.