Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX boots = excellent full support hiking

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
nwpilgrim

Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX boots = excellent full support hiking

Post by nwpilgrim » May 11th, 2015, 8:31 pm

My old Vasque Sundowner all leather boots are in for some rehab. They are not sure how well they can fix it (entire midsole is deteriorated), so I figured I would see if I could find an alternate boot for the type of hiking I do most of the time now.

Criteria:
- More fabric for those hot days, and for faster drying after stream crossings
- solid arch and heel support (being 230 lbs and carrying 15+ lb day pack I need good support)
- Goretex liner this time around for the rain and slush
- as "grippy" sole as possible for wet rock crossings

Tried on some Keen, Vasque and Asolo boots and they were good but not perfect. I have Salomon trail shoes, Vasque leather boot, and Keen work boots so they all seem great quality to me. Finally tried on a pair of the Salomon Quest 4D boots and wow! What a boot :)

Totally wraps my foot in solid support, spacious toe box but still nimble overall, and super grippy soles. I wore them around walking several miles in the neighborhood this past weekend and then today went for a rain and wet brush hike to Silver Star Mtn via Grouse Vista TH. Talk about a boot torture test. Extremely rocky trail and steep up and steep down (duh). With a midweight Smartwool sock the boots were sold, incredible ankle support on those loose rocks, feet stayed dry, and they felt light. And they were almost too grippy on the rock. Very nice.

For anything short of all snow or ice, I think this Salomon boot is one of the very best. It does not have deep tread, nor a squared off heel that I would prefer for real muddy or snow/ice conditions. But for dirt, rock, streams, rain, scrambling it is perfection for me. A lighter weight hiker could probably do with a shorter and lighter boot (this is 6" and fully over the ankle). But for heavier persons or loads this is a good boot to try.

sprengers4jc

Re: Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX boots = excellent full support hi

Post by sprengers4jc » May 12th, 2015, 6:57 am

I am a fan of the Merrell Moabs for all the same reasons. Lightweight, supportive, great traction, vibram sole that lasts a long time and wide toe box. I am about 200 pounds and carry a daypack similar in weight to yours. These hold up very well but I do notice that their lifespan is shortened if they are worn on concrete like sidewalks constantly.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 12th, 2015, 7:07 am

I've had a couple pairs of Merrell Moabs, and they're very comfortable but NOT very durable. They've worn out (and lost their waterproofness) quicker than any other boots I've owned. One pair even had to be taken back to REI because the sole started coming off after just a few months.

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 12th, 2015, 8:07 am

I really loved my Salomon Comet 3D GTX boots, similar to the 4D, one step down.

I owned a pair for about a year and put about 750 miles on them, then the rubber near the toe box started to separate from the leather of the main body. I returned them to REI and got another pair thinking it might be a fluke, but only 3 months later that pair started to separate in the SAME spot! Can't say enough good things about their comfort, waterproof-ness, and styling, but the durability is definitely suspect. I hope you have better luck than I. I hoped to get more than one season out of them for $199.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » May 12th, 2015, 10:37 am

adamschneider wrote:I've had a couple pairs of Merrell Moabs, and they're very comfortable but NOT very durable. They've worn out (and lost their waterproofness) quicker than any other boots I've owned. One pair even had to be taken back to REI because the sole started coming off after just a few months.
Wow, sorry to hear that. I have only had good luck with them. This is my fourth pair now.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

nwpilgrim

Post by nwpilgrim » May 12th, 2015, 3:32 pm

miah66 wrote:I really loved my Salomon Comet 3D GTX boots, similar to the 4D, one step down.

I owned a pair for about a year and put about 750 miles on them, then the rubber near the toe box started to separate from the leather of the main body. I returned them to REI and got another pair thinking it might be a fluke, but only 3 months later that pair started to separate in the SAME spot! Can't say enough good things about their comfort, waterproof-ness, and styling, but the durability is definitely suspect. I hope you have better luck than I. I hoped to get more than one season out of them for $199.
Uh oh, I hope the Quest does hold up better, but I will keep an eye out for this separation. It has a slightly different reinforced toe. Thanks for the warning miah66.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » May 26th, 2015, 7:42 pm

I just bought a pair of these boots as my danners are now racing slicks and I had a 20% off coupon :) I've never owned hikers this light before so I hope they hold up well. Thanks for the recommendation Pilgrim!