Ankle covers?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Sir Huntsalot

Ankle covers?

Post by Sir Huntsalot » July 2nd, 2008, 1:32 pm

I recently saw some people wearing material around their ankles while hiking. I didn't get the chance to ask them what they were used for. My guess was to aid in keeping insects out of one's boots, but I don't know. Does anyone have a name for these things, or where they can be purchased?

Grannyhiker

Re: Ankle covers?

Post by Grannyhiker » July 2nd, 2008, 2:00 pm

They are called low gaiters and can be bought at REI, campmor.com, backcountrygear.com among many other places. I have some made by Integral Designs, only 2 oz.

Their main purpose is to keep stones, dirt and/or snow from getting into your shoes. They're especially helpful with the low-cut trail shoes that most hikers wear. They also help keep water out (not from wading but from wet grass and brush). And yes, with your pants inside, they keep ticks from crawling up your legs. Spraying them with permethrin helps.

For winter snow use you want higher gaiters that come close to the knee.

Sir Huntsalot

Post by Sir Huntsalot » July 2nd, 2008, 5:30 pm

Grannyhiker,
Thanks for your response. You're everywhere aren't you? I've been checking out some forums for info on hikes this weekend and I swear, you had a reply to darn near every one. Thanks for your enthusiasm.

By the way, are you aware of Mt. Hood conditions for this weekend?

Later.

Jeff

Paul

Post by Paul » July 3rd, 2008, 8:33 am

My favorite are the Levagaiters for dirt and grit. They have no under string, but have a provision for one. I've never needed one though.

Here's they are on a pair of Merrells after 10 miles:
Last edited by Paul on July 10th, 2008, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 7th, 2008, 10:39 pm

I use gaitors (when I remember to bring them) on the trail tending outings and any hikes/climbs that look like they'll be a ton of dirt in my boots by the end of the day, or many of the wet weather hikes to help keep the feet dry.

I was amazed at how expensive they are. Yike. I was temped to just go with duck tape!

I like the knee-high ones, like this fella I hiked up South Sister with. But mine have pretty flimsy straps at the top and they're a bit of a struggle to keep tight. I've got my eye on some replacements and wouldn't mind passing along the old ones to someone .

I'd recommend the string-tie ones where you tie under the boot rather than the buckle. If the buckle breaks you're hosed. if the string breaks (which it will!) you tie on another string!

fettster

Post by fettster » July 8th, 2008, 6:41 am

Gaiters make a world of difference in the winter. For me in that season they are now a must-have piece of equipment for any snow adventures.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 10th, 2008, 6:35 am

I wear gaitors that cover my calves, like in the picture above, all the time. They keep dirt and rocks out of my boots, protect from the sun, as well as keeping water off. They do get a bit warm when it's hot.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 11th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Obviously I spend too much time online, Jeff! However, I've been off-line completely since July 2--been doing my granny thing at Westport, WA and then wore both hats (granny and hiker) accompanying the two older kids and their daddy-the-surfer on a 4-day backpack to Shi-Shi Beach on the Olympic Peninsula. Just got home this evening, trip report coming soon.

One minor annoyance I forgot about the Integral Designs eVent low gaiters--you have to take your boots off to put them on. Better to get something with a zipper or velcro closure even if they weigh a little more!

By the way, I looked up the spelling, since we have lots of variants in this thread (and in many other places!). Not only my spell-checker but several online catalogs show the spelling "gaiter." Evidently the spelling ending in "-or" describes a large, toothy reptile which lives in the Gulf Coast states....

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 12th, 2008, 3:26 pm

jeffstatt wrote: 'I was amazed at how expensive they are. Yike. I was temped to just go with duck tape!

Expensive is right. I bought my pair of OR Crocs about 12 years ago for just about $55. Looking to get a pair for my wife now, and I see them for about $65. Ouch

The OR gaiters are darn near indestructible, so at least you only gotta shell out the cabbage once

skimanjohn

Post by skimanjohn » August 9th, 2008, 2:52 pm

Have used gaiters for years for hiking.skiing and climbing.The OR gaiters are the best retail ones on the market but if all you want is some shorty ones to keep rocks,dirt and a little snow out of your boots they are very easy and cheap to make yourself.Just google it or check out a short pair in the stores and make your own.When i make my shortys i use velcro instead of a zipper,less chance of a blow out on the trail.