REI rebates and 20% coupons arrive - what are you buying?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Chazz

REI rebates and 20% coupons arrive - what are you buying?

Post by Chazz » March 24th, 2015, 7:56 am

I got my REI member rebate and the 20% off coupons last night. Considering buying a canister stove or a new inflatable sleeping pad. What are you looking to buy in preparation for a hiking season that will probably start early this year?

retired jerry

Re: REI rebates and 20% coupons arrive - what are you buying

Post by retired jerry » March 24th, 2015, 8:13 am

there is so little I buy at REI these days

I used to buy a butane canister with my 20% off coupon, but the Burton canisters from Fred Meyer are cheaper

I bought a Therm-a-rest Prolite mattress a couple years ago. 16 ounces for 6 foot version. I've been pretty happy. Don't put your hand on it with all your weight or it will start delaminating after a while.

Hiking season is year-round, but the higher elevation areas will be accessible early :)

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 24th, 2015, 8:38 am

I'm thinking about buying a bike this year.

Maybe this:

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

nwAdamR

Post by nwAdamR » March 24th, 2015, 1:43 pm

There’s always something to get at REI.

I’m going to attempt to get my girlfriend into backpacking this year, so she’ll be getting the new Osprey Aura AG pack with her 20% off coupon. She tried it on this weekend and liked it. I’ll get us a double-wide sleeping bag with my 20% off, probably the Big Agnes Big Creek 30º. My dividend check will help too!

drm

Post by drm » March 25th, 2015, 6:09 am

Replacement boots (Vasque Mantra). My current mainline pair (as opposed to my lightweight dayhike sneaker-boots and my heavier slush boots) still have a little life in them, but boots need regular replacing for me. I get the same pair each time, so I don't have to go in and try them on. Has worked so far. If some day they change the design and they don't fit, I can always send them back. But REI is at least an hour's drive away.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » March 25th, 2015, 7:27 pm

A new sleeping pad - probably an xtherm or xlite (any opinions either way?). I use a quilt, so the xtherm's extra insulation might be nice.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » March 25th, 2015, 10:38 pm

X2 on a bike. I did a bike and hike that was really fun but my bike is a cheapo full suspension mountain bike that is nearly unridable. Chubby kids and soft suspension don't make for an efficient mode of transportation. :lol: I'm also hoping to get something that will allow me to ride to work occasionally. Thinking about the Novara buzz x.

nwAdamR

Post by nwAdamR » March 26th, 2015, 12:15 pm

RobinB wrote:A new sleeping pad - probably an xtherm or xlite (any opinions either way?). I use a quilt, so the xtherm's extra insulation might be nice.
I have the Xtherm and love it!

Chase

Post by Chase » March 26th, 2015, 12:48 pm

The xtherm has kept me warm and also kept my old bones from hurting many nights since it came out. Worth every penny.

hikerbot

Post by hikerbot » March 26th, 2015, 4:59 pm

New trekking poles.

Considering these: http://www.rei.com/product/881635/leki- ... poles-pair