Tyvek Co-op Purchase?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Heather Legler

Tyvek Co-op Purchase?

Post by Heather Legler » March 12th, 2015, 3:07 pm

I'm wondering if fellow backpackers in the Portland area would be interested in getting together to split a 9'x125' roll of Tyvek from Home Depot. I'm not selling anything. I'm just looking to see if this is something people would be interested in.

I found some Tyvek by the foot on Antigravitygear.com, but it's $2.25/foot + shipping.

If we got a few of us together, we could save some sweet moolah for other gear. :)
Heather Legler

Koda

Re: Tyvek Co-op Purchase?

Post by Koda » March 12th, 2015, 3:17 pm

Next Adventure sells it by the foot thats pretty affordable. I cant remember the price, but I got some a couple years ago for a project and it was affordable IMO. Call ahead, its popular and they sell out but they keep it in stock, they order it by the roll...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Heather Legler

Post by Heather Legler » March 12th, 2015, 3:38 pm

Thanks! That's gonna be a lot easier than meeting up in Home Depot parking lot.

I'll call them today. :)
Heather Legler

Heather Legler

Post by Heather Legler » March 12th, 2015, 3:42 pm

I just called Next Adventure and they sell 9' wide Tyvek by the foot at $3/foot. I'm still thinking of getting the whole roll...At one tarp a year, it would last me 12 years. LOL!
Heather Legler

Chase

Post by Chase » March 14th, 2015, 5:59 am

I'd be down for this if I had not purchased 11 feet of it on eBay just a few weeks ago. A sheet lasts me 4-5 years since I use a tent whenever I don't need to be lightweight.
I hope you find people that want to do this. It'll come out closer to $1 /foot instead of the $2.50-3 range I pay when buying it.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 14th, 2015, 8:17 am

If using it as a tent footprint you might consider polycryo which can be bought at GossamerGear.com or in larger and cheaper quantities as window winterizer plastic at Home Depot. It's significantly lighter than Tyvek as the footprint for my 1-man tent is 28 grams. It's not as handy as Tyvek for use as something to sit on, but a lot lighter. I just built my new footprint yesterday where I added folded over duct tape strips with plastic bread-ties inside with a hole punched through for my tent poles (as "grommets") to more easily hold it in place. It worked great. Now it weighs 65 grams, but still quite light.

GoalTech/Mike

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 14th, 2015, 9:03 am

I got my polycro from the Goodwill, cheaper than Home Depot

Except I used it to put over a window

How weird that I would use a ground cover as a window covering :)

Chazz

Post by Chazz » March 16th, 2015, 7:16 am

I've been wanting to make a tyvek bivy, as described in this link: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=46661

Hmmm....

Chase

Post by Chase » March 16th, 2015, 7:43 am

Chazz wrote:I've been wanting to make a tyvek bivy, as described in this link: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=46661

Hmmm....
This is definitely something to be considered for some people. I've experimented with maybe 10 tyvek configurations and anytime I "burrito" it I get condensation problems and a dampness to my bag by morning. So, I don't think this works for all people, but if you can pull it off, major deal in saving weight and money!