Looking for advice on a quilt purchase

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Grannyhiker

Re: Looking for advice on a quilt purchase

Post by Grannyhiker » February 19th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Don't forget that the "average" is just that--the temp could be 10-20*F higher or lower. I've had summer nights in the high Oregon and Washington Cascades, and especially in the Wallowas, down to the mid 20s F (more likely in late August). In late September, 15* F, more than once (5,000 feet in the Glacier Peak Wilderness). I have a 20*F Western Mountaineering bag. On warm nights, I either leave it open, using it as a top quilt, or sleep on top of it.

When trip planning, I look at record lows for the month and the location, and think maybe 5*F above that. That's especially important since I'm usually at a higher altitude than most weather tracking stations. I may be too conservative, but I've encountered that big a variance from the "average" quite a few times. Plus, I sleep cold!

xrp

Post by xrp » February 19th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Thanks Grannyhiker.

What I've done is taken 2013 & 2014 SNOTEL data, which includes hi/lo temps, and dumped it into an Excel spreadsheet for tracking.

High 40s or low 50s are the norm for July/August and of course, extreme lows seen are the very rare high 30s. For July/Aug 2014, only one night [on Mt Hood] was under 40F.

I always consult Accuweather and Weather.com prior to heading out for an overnight or a weekend out. Naturally, if low 40s are expected, I'd take the MH Phantom 32. If 45+ temperatures are expected, as was the case July/August 2014, I'd opt for the 40F quilt and save 3/4lb.

5th

Post by 5th » April 30th, 2015, 7:58 am

I use an Underground Quilts 30° Flight Jacket. Fantastic quality and great for color, size, closure, and overstuff options. Although I don't have experience with one, you might like their Renegade even better.

the hiking nurse is right; hammockforums.net is a great place to research quilts, as hammock users lean far more heavily away from sleeping bags and toward quilts than ground-sleepers do, and there's really nothing special to differentiate a quilt in regards to one use or the other.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 30th, 2015, 8:54 am

just glancing at EE website, it weighs an extra 2.5 ounces to go from 40 F to 30F. Probably a good allocation of 2.5 ounces added to base weight

if you're doing a lot of warm weather camping then maybe a lighter quilt would be justified - depends on where you're going and what the weather report is. 50 F quilt weighs 10 ounces, 30 F quilt weighs 15 ounces, saving 5 ounces might justify having a second quilt

xrp

Post by xrp » August 5th, 2015, 7:19 pm

It arrived!

Chazz

Post by Chazz » August 10th, 2015, 11:26 am

Nice looking quilt! That's going to be my holiday purchase this year.