Looking for advice on a quilt purchase

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
cns

Looking for advice on a quilt purchase

Post by cns » February 5th, 2015, 12:36 pm

I'm getting ready to order an Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with them.

Would people recommend getting the Downtek treated down?

Also, I'm really torn between a 20 degree quilt and a 30 degree quilt. I sleep a little on the cold side, but not horribly so. I'm really hoping to be able to use this as a 3-season bag.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chris

retired jerry

Re: Looking for advice on a quilt purchase

Post by retired jerry » February 5th, 2015, 2:08 pm

a lot of people talking about that on backpackinglight.com

google "enlightened equipment site:backpackinglight.com"

or "downtek site:backpackinglight.com"

most everyone loves enlightened equipment, lots of satisfied downtek users, but it hasn't been around very long so some people skeptical

Chazz

Post by Chazz » February 5th, 2015, 2:43 pm

I've been debating between the Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt and the Backcountry quilt from Sierra Designs. Both look like good options.

turtle

Post by turtle » February 8th, 2015, 7:27 pm

FWIW the used gear forum on backpacking light frequently has some good deals on used light weight gear.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

the hiking nurse

Post by the hiking nurse » February 8th, 2015, 8:01 pm

There is a whole cottage industry dedicated to top quilts for hammockers. I have a Hammock Gear 20 degree burrow and it is amazing. Not sure what your budget is but most quality 20 degree down quilts are around $200-250. If you look at hammockforums.com there is a wealth of info regarding quilts from different manufacturers and also a large for sale section where people sell used gear. Hammock Gear, Underground Quilts, and Jack r Better are all small cottage companies that make very high quality gear.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Surridge

Post by Surridge » February 10th, 2015, 2:01 pm

I have an EE Revelation and I love it. Very well made. Great customer service. Quality materials. I've had it for a few years now and they were not using the downtek technology then

Chazz

Post by Chazz » February 10th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Surridge,

I've been debating about the EE Engima or Revelation quilts. How well do they stay on the inflated pad, in your experience? Have you found them to be drafty at all? Would the 20 degree quilt be too much for summer hiking?

cns

Post by cns » February 10th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Thank you for the input!

I went ahead and ordered the 20 degree Enigma with the regular down, instead of the downtek. However, I did go with a little heavier material on the outside to protect against any wetness from condensation inside the tent a little bit.

Sounds like about a 5 week wait. Can't wait to get it out later this spring!

Surridge

Post by Surridge » February 11th, 2015, 9:14 am

I have not had a problem with the quilt being too drafty at all. There is a grounding system included that attaches to your pad. I don't use this at all and still have no trouble with draft, though I'm a back sleeper. I have the 20 degree quilt, and though a bit excessive for Oregon in the summer, it definitely extends my sleep system well into the shoulder months.

xrp

Post by xrp » February 19th, 2015, 11:38 am

So what would be a good EE quilt temperate rating for Oregon summers? 40F? 30F? It looks like summer night averages for July/August hover around 48F-50F from SNOTELs that I track (Indian Heaven, Goat Rocks, Mt Hood)

I have a MH Phantom 32, but am looking to lighten my load.

I like the 13.65 ounces spec of the EE Revelation Pro @ 40F/850FP/10D. This would be about half what my MH Phantom 32 + stuff sack weighs.