School me on travel trailer living

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
retired jerry

Re: School me on travel trailer living

Post by retired jerry » December 6th, 2014, 5:27 pm

My first trailer (fifth wheel) was a "project" when I bought it. Wood frame, a section of roof was rotted, I fixed it.

My first RV had a flat roof with a metal piece around the perimeter so it created a little pool. I thought I was keeping eye on caulk, but then there were some places where water leaked so we got rid of it. It was 10 years old so not that bad.

It would help if trailer was stored under a cover so the sun doesn't degrade the caulk.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 6th, 2014, 10:56 pm

I see many newer trailers are made with one piece roofs, I guess what matters is how the roof is "joined" at the wall interface.

I was getting a tour of a friend's fifth wheel today, and noticed that condensation was a problem in his currently unused rig. I knew this was something that could happen, but for some reason it seemed like the amount of condensation was surprising to him. I guess that if there is moisture outside, and you don't have some heat on inside to help keep it dried out, moisture gets inside and stays there.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 7th, 2014, 7:03 am

Lumpy wrote:I see many newer trailers are made with one piece roofs, I guess what matters is how the roof is "joined" at the wall interface.
Yep, it's the edges *and* at every place something (vent, a/c, antenna, etc) sticks through.
Lumpy wrote:I was getting a tour of a friend's fifth wheel today, and noticed that condensation was a problem in his currently unused rig. I knew this was something that could happen, but for some reason it seemed like the amount of condensation was surprising to him. I guess that if there is moisture outside, and you don't have some heat on inside to help keep it dried out, moisture gets inside and stays there.
Probably because it'd been so cold and then the wet/warm front came through. We kept one of those hot oil space heaters (and a little fan) running in ours during the winter, to try keeping that from happening.

Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 7th, 2014, 7:09 am

yeah, heater helps. Mine has several large windows facing South so it gets pretty warm on sunny days, which reduces moisture

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 7th, 2014, 7:12 am

Great way to save propane, too, if you have an electric hookup! :)
Karl

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 23rd, 2014, 11:22 pm

texasbb wrote:
Aardvark wrote:If you plan on towing it much - buy a 3/4 ton truck if your planning on anything over about a 20 footer.
I haven't done much RVing, but I agree with this comment.
I really appreciate all (and I mean all, as I am a total noob at this) comments in this thread.

I have an idea for a business that is environmentally friendly, fun as all get-out, and essentially keeps me out in the woods, where I love to be and exploring, which I love to do. I don't plan on getting rich, just having F-U-N!!!

Here is what I am up against (and just so folks know what my attitude is in order to promote the kinds of information that might help me a great deal in future purchases and planning):

I will be moving the whole shebang at least every two weeks. One is allowed (under the rules as I understand them so far) to stay in a National Forest campground for 14 days, then you gotta move on. I am very much in the mindset of a 250/2500 sized pick up with a diesel engine equipped with an exhaust brake system. I will be living and working on the West Coast, so a properly equipped tow vehicle and the safety and capability features of one has risen to the top of my list. Tow vehicle first, and the trailer I can live in for an extended length of time to fit it second, seems to be the wiser decision making steps.

I am more than willing to buy diesel (only engine I've found with an exhaust brake system to assist in braking down hill descents) and would not mind needing to use Diesel Exhaust Fluid (hereafter referred to as DEF) and a Diesel Particulate Filter ( hereafter referred to DPF) in order to reduce environmental impacts of diesel combustion. The main reason I have come to this conclusion is based in part on my experience driving big rigs on the West Coast making deliveries to small hardware stores and using the engine/exhuast brake system instead of the wheel brakes in order to safely descend a long hill. I also have been swayed to believe that newer diesel light truck eingines are quite a bit more "environmentally friendly" compared to gasoline engines of the same horsepower due to the use of DEF and the DPF. I have used the "build and price" features of the the Ford and Dodge websites for the 250/2500 level pickups for my uses, as it seems that Chevy/GMC just doesn't really hold a lot of market share in this arena. Please tell me if I've got this wrong!

In case you haven't caught on by now, my primary concern is safety, not getting to where I am going in record time. Barring a major disaster, I know where I am headed will be right where it has been for years, so I am never in too great of a hurry. The engine or exhaust brake, even if I have to downshift, iis, in my opinion (willing to be swayed!) and experience, a much more usefull system on a long downhill descent than simply downshifting a gasoline engine and crawling down a hill at 5-10MPH.

I looked and discussed the F150 3.7 Liter EcoBoost sytem with a lot of folks, and while it promises higher MPG when not towing, it just doesn't seem to be the right engine for towing a trailer all over the West Coast. I have been advised that it is always better to have more truck than the trailer needs, and there is some obvious logic that seems apparent with that line of thinking. Does I need more information before I purchase a truck about this?

I am seriously considering a trailer from Outdoors RV (http://www.outdoorsrvmfg.com/). First, they seem to make really good RVs based on some of the info I've seen on the internet. Second, I have a very strong "Keep my oney in the Pscific North Wet Whenever Possible" ethic that would make me feel really good if I can stick to it. If anyone has any input or advice on this company or my ideals to keep money made here as close to here as possible, please don't be afraid to share it.

At this time, I am keeping some of my ideas and plans very private. If you ask me what my plans are, please don't be offended or feel rejected that I don't give you more information. I have the luxury of time to make a decision, or at least I believe I do. I am trying to make researched, reasonable, legal, and effective decisions. In time, I will tell everyone what I am planning, but for now, I'd rather concentrate on the decisions I am up against and any opinions or facts for consideration. Your input might save me a lot of money, heartache, time, and effort. Please, don't try to weigh if your thoughts matter. I assure you, they do!

Thank you to anyone and everyone that gives me some feedback. I read all responses and I do value personal anecdotes along with hard facts in this process, as I have not done this and you might have. Information is what i need, so please help me get it.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » December 24th, 2014, 5:44 am

Lumpy,

you are on the right track. Our trailer is a 2011 Outdoors RV "Back Country" 22F, which is a discontinued model line, but they are a first class company that stands behind what they make and they make a nice product. We've been more than pleased with it. Good thoughts on the diesel 3/4 ton truck, too. We tow the 4500 lb 22' trailer with a 2005 GMC half ton truck, but only a few weekends a year and a couple of weeks of vacation every year. But if we did it more than that, I'd have the diesel truck for sure. My dad has a 2014 Ford F-250 with the Powerstroke diesel, and it is one sweet truck. I've also got a friend with a Chevrolet Duramax Silverado truck, also a nice one but you're right about GM, they just don't have the market share (but do make a nice rig).

Good luck on whatever you decide. I'm envious of your plan! :) But my thoughts are that you are doing this the right way, and your early directions have you headed down the right path.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 24th, 2014, 7:59 am

Lumpy wrote:I have an idea for a business that is environmentally friendly, fun as all get-out, and essentially keeps me out in the woods, where I love to be and exploring, which I love to do. I don't plan on getting rich, just having F-U-N!!!
Sounds delicious! I think if I were coming into it like you, and planning for the long-haul (heh), I'd definitely be looking at either a PowerStroke or Cummings. Totally agree with your idea that "too much truck" isn't a bad thing! I was honestly never as bothered with descents as with the climbing, myself. No experience with exhaust braking, so maybe my opinion would change. I think our trailer was around 6-7000#, depending on load, and it never felt like it was pushing too hard on the Suburban K2500, even with long 6% grades. (Maybe a bit on the F150.) But we weren't using it with anything even close to the regularity you envision, so probably put up with far more than would be ideal. Not familiar with Outdoors RV, so nothing to offer there. Sign me,

Envious...
Karl

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 24th, 2014, 10:02 am

I'm not into the RV world myself, but I've camped next to plenty of them. One way to be a good RV neighbor in a campground where you're near tent campers is to run your generator VERY little, and definitely not too early or too late in the day. Nothing ruins a camping trip faster than listening to an obnoxious generator running for 30+ minutes.

Have fun! :D

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 24th, 2014, 10:36 am

justpeachy wrote:Nothing ruins a camping trip faster than listening to an obnoxious generator running for 30+ minutes.
Don't you mean for hours? ;)
I am looking into solar energy with a small generator as a backup and larger and/or extra batteries for storage. I also plan on getting one of the "quiet" generators, not a cheap "work site" noisy generator. I'm an adherent of the "buy once, cry once" philosophy.

This is going to be a huge lifestyle change for me. I'm going to try not to bother anyone else's lifestyle with it.