School me on travel trailer living

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
texasbb

Re: School me on travel trailer living

Post by texasbb » December 1st, 2014, 9:21 am

Aardvark wrote:If you plan on towing it much - buy a 3/4 ton truck if your planning on anything over about a 20 footer.
I haven't done much RVing, but I agree with this comment. My limited experience was pulling a 20-ish foot trailer with a marginal rig, and it's only recommended if travel is infrequent. If you're driving a lot, get a proper rig.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 1st, 2014, 10:11 am

cfm wrote:You could get one of these:
If I end up with a travel trailer, I'll need the $500 for fuel! :lol:
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 1st, 2014, 10:15 am

I thought I had ruled out a fifth wheel because of the extra height, but it seems that I need to seriously consider one. It won't be a forty foot monstrosity. It will just be me, occasionally one other person. I just don't need that much room, and I don't want to burn the fuel to haul something huge.

Everything leaks at some point. I used to have a really old camper in my twenties. It had caulk of different ages all over it!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 1st, 2014, 11:38 am

texasbb wrote:
Aardvark wrote:If you plan on towing it much - buy a 3/4 ton truck if your planning on anything over about a 20 footer.
I haven't done much RVing, but I agree with this comment. My limited experience was pulling a 20-ish foot trailer with a marginal rig, and it's only recommended if travel is infrequent. If you're driving a lot, get a proper rig.
Yep. Hauled a 27'er over the Rockies, twice, with an F150. Bought a 3/4-ton Suburban when we got back. Doubled my speed over the passes. (From 20-to-40! :lol:)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kelkev

Post by kelkev » December 1st, 2014, 11:51 am

I've towed happily with well equipped half-ton trucks for almost 20 years, but if I towed anything heavier than 5000 lbs, I'd get a 3/4 ton in a heartbeat. Our trailers have been 22' and shorter, and max 4500 lbs loaded. You'll need a 3/4 ton for a fifth wheel, the hitch weight will exceed the cargo capacity of a half ton.

The dealerships will tell you that a half ton can tow 10,000 lbs. Sure it can. It just won't do it very well and it won't last very long doing it. The brakes, transmissions, frames, engines, axles, and just about everything else in a 3/4 ton is much heavier duty.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 1st, 2014, 11:54 am

I'm thinking about an F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost. The claimed power numbers are impressive, and I'll have better fuel economy when I'm just getting groceries. The previous engine problems with the charge air cooler have been worked out apparently.

I'll certainly consider the larger truck in case that is how it has to be done.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 1st, 2014, 1:56 pm

If you're truck shopping too, yeah, save yourself the grief. Really sucks to put on the hazard lights up every hill. The ones always passing us were F250/F350 and Dodge Ram, either Strokin' or Cummins. (I would not recommend the Suburban 2500 unless it's diesel! Our 454 is just a furnace on wheels.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 1st, 2014, 2:06 pm

I have an old ford explorer now, and while it has been super reliable for a quarter of a million miles, it ain't gonna pull a good trailer anywhere anymore. It will probably be relegated to "the beater" status, or given to a friend that really needs a car. That way, I can still visit it now and then. :cry:

If the next vehicle I buy will be as reliable as that 1996 explorer, I'll happily pay almost any price.

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » December 2nd, 2014, 2:50 pm

We've been traveling with a 1968 Airstream trailer for the last 11 years now. It is 17ft and weighs 2500#. For the first ten years we pulled with an Ford E150 van with the 5.7L v8. Last year we retired the van in favor of a Ford Flex SEL AWD. That's not even the eco-boost version. It feels WAY better pulling the trailer. We've been really happy with it. I think it's more about gearing than power. That van could barely get out of it's own way when it wasn't towing anything!

If you're going to live in your camper that's called 'fulltiming', and there's lots of websites dedicated to the lifestyle. Finding free places to park, how to get your mail, what to do about insurance, where to plug in and fill up between campgrounds, etc.

As an Airstream owner I have gotten a lot of help from the Airstream Forum. We have a sister community which is very active - http://www.irv2.com/ where you will find lots of RV tips and info.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but we really enjoy RVing, and look forward to having more freedom to travel and stay in our trailer for longer trips. We are a little unusual in that we bought our trailer in our 30s, so we are young for the RV set, but have always felt welcome. I find most RVers all love the same thing - being outdoors and enjoying nature. It's a nice community.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 2nd, 2014, 4:58 pm

That's good info, thanks!