Alternative Bags for the Sawyer Squeeze

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
tednottodd

Re: Alternative Bags for the Sawyer Squeeze

Post by tednottodd » September 27th, 2014, 8:44 pm

I saw the Sawyer squeeze at REI yesterday I haven't been in the market for a new filter, but am now. I scratched it off my list, just from the look of the bag. I may reconsider now after hearing there are options. What about the filter itself? do you like it? We have one of the popular pump type and it works great, but when it stops, I will likely look for a more lightweight option.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 27th, 2014, 9:10 pm

I've been using Squeeze for a couple years. Before that I used a pump Katadyn pump filter, except it was a different manufacturer then, Pur. I much prefer Squeeze.

Squeeze weighs 3 ounces, Katadyn 12 ounces

With Katadyn, I pumped 4 liters of water for a day's worth which was a pain. With Squeeze I get untreated water and squeeze only when needed. Water that I'm going to boil or use for cleaning I don't treat. Much more convenient.

Squeeze isn't supposed to be frozen which is a pain, if you go much below freezing.

Squeeze has to be backflushed at end of a week trip, and again before the next trip. Sometimes, when stored, it will get clogged. Maybe the water dries and stuff gets into the poresor something.

So it's not perfect, but works beter for me.

Another good solution is Steripen, 3 ounces, but since it's electronic it can fail. If you always carry two sets of batteries it will probably work okay.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 1st, 2014, 9:57 pm

Even with the worthless bag I'd still go with the squeeze - way less tiring than the pump we used to use. But I haven't ever used a steripen. I imagine it might get annoying to treat water one liter at a time?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 2nd, 2014, 6:40 am

I used Steripen for a while

I fill a pint (1/2 liter) bottle "at a time" and then drink it.

With old pump filter I always pumped 4 liters at a time - one days worh of water. Stooped over at the edge of water source. Took several breaks because my arms and back got sore.

With Sawyer or Steripen, I just use my 4 liter bag for untreated water, and then treat it, 1/2 liter at a time, in camp or at convenient location. Water that I boil doesn't need to be treated.

With my Steripen, I tried rechargeable Lithium batteries but they died after a liter or so. Then I got name brand non-rechargeable. One set of batteries was enough for one trip, maybe 5 liters. Next trip, I carried some batteries that were unused but I left them in the Steripen for a month, and they only treated about 1 liter before they died. I just returned the Steripen. Yet many people like it. Make sure and carry two good sets of batteries.

Steripen has a new model that uses AA NiMH batteries. That might work good.

n.bumppo

Post by n.bumppo » October 2nd, 2014, 7:05 am

The standby current drain of my Steripen Opti is terrible. I take the batteries out if I store if for more than a day or two. Otherwise the batteries die.
Dave

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 2nd, 2014, 7:10 am

That probably explains my bad experience.

The inconvenience of a Squeeze/Mini is probably about the same as a Steripen, although they're different. I could see getting that new AA model. Then you can use Rechargeable NiMh. They're testing it at BackpackGearTest.org so in four months we should get the usage experience from three people.

Koda

Post by Koda » October 2nd, 2014, 7:13 am

I'll never use a Steripen. It doesn't treat the water around the lid. A friend has one, on a trip our only source was lake water. I drank crystal clear filtered water and while 'probably' safe, he drank the sediment and bugs and other floaties... and yes his battery died.

Sawyer filter all the way.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 2nd, 2014, 7:27 am

Steripen also kills viruses, although that usually isn't an issue in U.S.

Yeah, there are a few drops of water that don't get treated on the lid, but filters let a few bugs through so they're not perfect either. If you can remove 99.99% of the bugs, then you won't normally get sick.

A few "floaties" are just aesthetic.

Filters, like Squeeze, can get clogged. People occasionally report problems. Although it you backflush before and after every trip you should be okay.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » October 2nd, 2014, 7:49 am

I've found it a good idea to take along some chlorine dioxide tablets as backup regardless of what I'm using for the water. I've had both plugged filter and non-working Steripen issues, although the latter was so bad that I returned it after one trip. With the Squeeze, I've found that testing should be done the night before the trip, not several weeks before. Between trips, use the "storage for the winter" treatment (vinegar to backflush and then a chlorine bleach solution from the "dirty" side.

The Squeeze can be adapted as a gravity filter--takes longer, but a lot less work, and you can do other things while it's filtering. Just stay close by so you can "burp" the air out of the clean water bag a few times during the process.

Boiling works, too, but takes a lot of fuel (extra weight) and a lot of work, especially when boiling a day's supply for two people. Besides, unless you enjoy drinking hot water, you have to wait for it to cool.

Having the chlorine dioxide tablets also allows you to double-treat really horrible water sources (such as downstream of dwelling places). Do remember, though, that no filter or chemical or boiling will get rid of noxious chemicals in the water, such as agricultural chemicals, mine tailings, etc.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 2nd, 2014, 8:05 am

Tap water has chlorine in it. Backflush after trip and it will flush out most of the stuff and leave a little chlorine in the filter.

I've used Squeeze maybe 50 nights without it ever clogging. That would be 100 liters.

At least here in Oregon/Washington/California bad water is a statistical thing. Probably won't get sick drinking untreated water on one trip, but if you drink untreated water on many trips, you'll probably eventually get sick. If you have no backup, the chance of filter clogging is small, and the chance of getting sick if you drink untreated water is small, so the chance of both is insignificant.

But chlorine dioxide tablets weigh nothing and aren't expensive so that's good too...