Trail desserts

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
turtle

Trail desserts

Post by turtle » June 23rd, 2008, 2:01 pm

One of my favorites is instant pudding with some sort of cookies mixed in for crunch. Really cold stream water or a handy snow bank can substitute for refrigeration. I carry a plastic jar to shake the mixture. Any one else have a favorite?
Last edited by turtle on July 29th, 2010, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

zombie

Re: Trail deserts

Post by zombie » June 23rd, 2008, 4:48 pm

I read about this one in several places before ever giving it a go, and boy was I missing out! Take a banana, still in the skin, and slice it lengthwise down the top so it opens but doesn't pull apart into two halves. Scrape a little bit from the inside like your making a canoe to make room for the fillings. Drop in some mini marshmallows and some chocolate chips, and wrap in foil. Stick that sucker near the fire and wait for the chocolate chips to start melting and you've got banana splits. You can just scrape all the goodies out with your camp spoon after it cools a bit.

Yum!

-aaron

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 23rd, 2008, 4:56 pm

Re the instant pudding: Put the pudding mix and dried milk in a plastic ziplock bag. When it's time to mix, add the appropriate amount of water to the bag, re-seal, shake until thoroughly mixed and let stand about 20 minutes. Eat it out of the bag. You'll have only your spoon to wash!

Jane

Re: Trail desserts and then some

Post by Jane » July 15th, 2008, 7:52 pm

This link from the WTA's newsletter has some great ideas and recipes: http://www.wta.org/magazine/1174.pdf

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 16th, 2008, 6:08 am

I clicked into this post wondering what a "trail desert" might be. I see now. My favorite trail dessert is M&Ms. They're simple and yummy and you get to each chocolate without having to worry about it melting all over the place! YUM! :D

Martell

Post by Martell » July 16th, 2008, 8:53 am

Not sure if you mean this kind of dessert, but:
-Whiskey and hot chocolate.
-Vodka, Kahlua, powdered cream and water (backpacking white russian)
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

sarbar

Post by sarbar » July 16th, 2008, 6:31 pm

If I want to show off I "bake" a cake using steam in my Fauxbaker. Dorky and easy, it tastes so good. No one says no to hot chocolate cake :lol:
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Gear & Beyond.....Outdoor Food Simplified: http://www.trailcooking.com/

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » July 17th, 2008, 1:01 am

I have to get on that banana split as soon as posible. Fantastic idea - but how do you keep a banana intact and fresh while backpacking a few days? First night delicacy?

On the subject of whiskey and dessert, here's one of my favorites. Probably been done a million times, but still a classic - and in my mind, an essential:

After dinner, mix hot water, herbal tea (orange, lemon, apple, blueberry, you name it!) with Maker's Mark and a slice of lemon. An unsliced lemon easily lasts a few days backpacking; a sliced lemon lasts a day or two if packed against your water. We carry our whiskey in plastic water bottles that collapse as you drink.

Not just a great nightcap, but a hot, tasty treat for the post-dinner campfire buzz. Cuts the taste of whiskey if you're a non-whiskey drinker, too...

sarbar

Post by sarbar » July 17th, 2008, 8:40 am

I carry bananas in a Pringle container! I eat a lot of fresh potassium (I have braces so no dried fruit). I also carry avocados wrapped in paper towels in my pot.
You can also get freeze dried bananas from Just Tomatoes and online at www.Harmonyhousefoods.com Rehydrated youcan use them easily.
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Gear & Beyond.....Outdoor Food Simplified: http://www.trailcooking.com/