Minimal Cost Backpacking gear list...

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Koda

Re: Minimal Cost Backpacking gear list...

Post by Koda » January 19th, 2012, 4:41 pm

Grannyhiker wrote: I want to try to make up my original lightweight gear list (base weight 15 lbs.) which I did with relatively little expenditure.

It will be fun to see how your 15lb fits in price-wise, will it beat (the link you shared) $200/10lb base weight? Then there is arundodonax's list at $319.30/76.6oz/4.78lbs base weight... I'm taking notes on that one. And then if I get some time to kill I'd like to see a baseweight list without regard to weight where the cheapest is the only option.

Speaking of leaving stoves behind and other UL tactics, that gossamergear list ($200/10lb) says to use only 4 toilet paper squares per day..... :shock: um, yeah. Stoves might be one thing but the TP thing goes too far, but to each their own I guess. arundodonax's list at 4.78lbs base weight included a stove and a roll of TP..... At what baseweight does it make a difference on your enjoyment of the trip?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

awildman

Post by awildman » January 20th, 2012, 9:25 pm

arundodonax wrote:Sleeping Pad: Gossamer Gear Nightlite Torso - $12.75 - 3.3 oz
This sleeping pad has a weight/price penalty of .5 ounce / $2 for the Tylenol PM you have to bring to get a decent night's sleep. :)

The Super Cat stove can be made for about fifty cents; free if you have a cat friend.
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » January 22nd, 2012, 7:04 pm

My list won't beat the $200/10 lb. list from Mark Henley (which is 4 or 5 years old so probably can't be gotten for $200 any more, either), but it will include gear more suitable for an old bat with sensitive joints, so will be more comfortable than the average list.

However, it will be at least a week, maybe two, before I can start on it. Lots of things didn't get done during the week I was snowbound in Seattle (of all places). At least the grandkids had a ball (no school the whole week) and there was awesome sliding on the local streets (many very steep). The whole neighborhood was out, with parents making sure nobody slid in front of the few cars that attempted to navigate the roads! Interestingly, the US Mail delivered on time all week, while the local garbage company wimped out!

As of this morning very little snow remained. A small lump of one snowman and a few snowballs of the back yard snow fort, all looked pretty sad!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 25th, 2012, 8:12 am

Army surplus canvas pup-tent - $5
Metal tent stakes (6) - $2
Army surplus canvas backpack (preferably with oak frame) - $10
Army surplus mess kit (with fork/knife/spoon set) - $3
Army surplus canteen (with canvas cover) - $2
Flannel Sleeping Bag at Fred Meyer - $10
Leather, steel-toe work boots - $12

Total Retro Package: $44

Though REI was founded in 1938, for most people, this is what it took to start backpacking in 1968. When I went on my first overnight trip with my family that year (to Serene Lake) this is the gear we had, and also a lot of what you saw out on the trail in those days. I think it helped that most young men in those days were veterans of WWII or the Korean War -- my dad was the latter -- so were used to Army issue gear.

I'm pretty high on the estimates, but this would be in 1968 dollars, too. Ground cloths and sleeping pads were exotic in those days, so not on the list.

Tom :)

Koda

Post by Koda » January 25th, 2012, 9:03 am

this is cool Tom, I wonder how that $44 would translate to todays cost/inflation?

I will admit my first two backpacking trips were with an external frame pack. Cant remember the brand, but I got it at either BiMart or Fred Meyers.... were I got all my other gear. My first two backpacking trips were up Eagle Creek. My sleeping bag was HUGE and rolled into a plastic garbage sack. pre 1989...

After high school, I got better gear... Off the top of my mind these come to mind; I had a Coleman white gas stove (nick named the Lunar Lander), a Glaciers Edge sleeping bag (Freddies), a HUGE "rambo" knife, some kinda dome tent, a .22 cal rifle... you know, in case bigfoot attacked, and about every trinket and accessory you can buy from the camping section in Freddies. Those were the days.... I didn't know back then REI existed. :shock:
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

tnitz

Post by tnitz » January 26th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Thanks, Tom. Good list. But for SOME of us, even Army surplus was "too expensive". I usually had the cheap stuff, on sale, from Freddie's or Monkey Wards, or... Later, when I realized I wouldn't be able to afford the "good" stuff, I went minimalist - black plastic garbage bag tarps, $5 net hammock from Freddies, etc.

And no, I have absolutely NO desire to go back to that approach...

Your posting, however, did make me realize that back in the days of cooking over fire and heavy or cheap cookware, I often did go without cooking: bagels, cheese, hard salami. Maybe it's not such a strange idea to me after all.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 26th, 2012, 2:12 pm

I'm still of that mindset -- the main purpose of a stove (for me) is really just to make hot water. I'm fine with reconstituted food from freeze-dried matter, and usually just opt for stuff that doesn't require preparation. I used to mainline nut mixes, but that's a kidney stone no-no for me, now, so I try to have crunchy/salty/sweet alternatives as my main food source.

BTW, remember those 4-slide "toasters" that used to sit on a fire or Coleman stove? That used to be considered basic gear for camping... along with an aluminum coffee pot/percolator... and even made it into some backpacks, as I recall!

Tom :)

tnitz

Post by tnitz » January 31st, 2012, 2:07 pm

I do recall the toasters, I actually just saw a bunch somewhere, but managed to avoid them. I did have an awfully heavy hinged aluminum pan - it opened to basically two fry pans. I have no idea what it was supposed to be for or where I got it, but I know I carried it at least once. It was oval shaped. Now you have me curious about it.

Thankfully I avoided much of the stuff I would be terribly embarassed about now, but until fairly recently did carry one of those little espresso makers with me. And sadly, I scoffed at them when I first saw them but eventually did buy one.

Today I guess my GPS and iPod are my worst offenders, so not too bad compared to where I started, eh?