When I thought about this, I realized there are probably a dozen "categories" one could build a list around, so here's mine "cheapest minimal with good UL equipment"... this is for someone who knows they are going to be a backpacker and get out there, but does not have a lot of money to spend. They want the nicest they can afford. For this study, I'm only going to focus on the "baseweight" ... here is a quick shopping list...
- 6MD UL Tent, $125, 34oz
- Tyvek footprint$12, 6.5 oz
- Exped Sleeping pad$54.93, 12.5oz
- Ultralight Backpacking Canister Camp Stove with Piezo Ignition$14.99, 3.9oz
- GSI Outdoors Haluite Minimalist$21.16, 5oz
- jetboil 4oz canister, $3.99 @ FM
- 6MD Swift Pack, 56liter capacity$110, 15oz
- Marmot Nomad Sleeping Bag: 30 Degree Down, sleeping bag$108.47, 37oz
- BD wiz-headlamp$14.95, Weight With Batteries : 32 g (1.1 oz)
- Suunto compass$18.5, ~3oz?
- Nalgene Wide-Mouth Cantene - 48 fl. oz.$9.25, 2oz empty
Next I'd like to see a list with the cheapest gear without regards to weight.... like say a ol blue tarp vs UL tarp. total economy setup.. but im outta time...