3-person backpacking tent for two humans and a dog

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
christabrews

3-person backpacking tent for two humans and a dog

Post by christabrews » March 3rd, 2022, 9:46 am

We got a puppy! He's a golden retriever, and is going to be a very big boy. Our two person backpacking tent is not going to cut it when he's joining us on our adventures this summer. I was looking at the Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 3 Solution-Dyed Tent https://www.rei.com/product/188358/big- ... -dyed-tent
But a youtube review claimed it was more of a two-person than a three-person tent. That said, the reviewer was larger than both of us, and I'm fairly petite. Does anyone have any recommendations, especially if you camp with dogs? I'm also concerned about dog nails poking holes in the floor. Obviously we would get him a nail trim before we go out, but even then I could see it happening if he stepped or flopped down in just the wrong way.

ChrisA

Re: 3-person backpacking tent for two humans and a dog

Post by ChrisA » April 24th, 2022, 1:22 pm

We used a REI halfdome 2 plus for the two of us plus our 80 pound shepherd. it was long enough that she could sleep down by our feet. another trip with three plus dog we used an ALPS mountaineering tent. I think it is a 5 person, which means 3 and a big dog. :D I don't know how 5 could fit. but having the extra help carrying everything would have been nice.

SCtoPDX

Post by SCtoPDX » April 25th, 2022, 11:20 am

It's a tad snug and if you don't mind a non-freestanding tent this works great for my wife + me + 80lb Lab mix.

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/t ... 5352160396

dirtman

Post by dirtman » May 16th, 2022, 7:57 am

The Mountainsmith Morrison 3 tent has worked great for me. And it is not very expensive.
steens.JPG

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » May 30th, 2022, 2:41 pm

If "cost is no object" and you're looking for ultra-light weight, durability and good customer service, the "Hyperlite UltaMid" has served me well for about 5 years. You can buy it as a "tarp" (no floor) or with an insert (tub-type floor, bug netting integrated) and use it with hiking poles or a carbon-fiber, pre-measured sectional pole.

In the past, I found the "hiking poles as tent stakes" appealing due to weight savings, but a major annoyance and time sink to set up. I also thought it was insecure, but I haven't heard others complaining about that aspect. I bought the carbon-fiber sectional pole and I'll use it this season. It's stood up very well in high winds and rain to my surprise.

Anyway, it's very spacious, very light, very durable and (in my opinion) very costly. However, it's made in Maine, the company backs the product 100% and I'll give it my endorsement

(P.S.: I have no commercial or other affiliation with Hyperlite. I've used their products though for years and I'm a satisfied customer)

christabrews

Post by christabrews » June 28th, 2022, 4:32 pm

I'm returning to this thread a little late! I don't seem to get notifications of post replies, either on the site or to my email :( Maybe I should recheck my settings

We ended up going with the tent I linked, and while we like it a lot, I am worried that it won't work long-term. Bucky is getting bigger than we expected, and he loves to stretch out when he sleeps. When he lays on his back and kicks his feet in the air, he manages to hit the tent doors and poke holes if his nails haven't been dremeled recently.

I have a 1-person tent that can use trekking poles instead of the tent poles it comes with, but I also find it to be too unstable. So I would prefer not to go that route.

I've heard good things about gossamer gear, and 80lbs is probably where Bucky will end up, maybe slightly more. I'll have to think about that one. But probably won't make any decisions until he's fully grown.