Water filtration suggestions

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
PatrickL

Re: Water filtration suggestions

Post by PatrickL » August 2nd, 2021, 11:30 am

I have started doing more backpacking this year and have been using the sawyer squeeze installed inline on my camel. It has worked well for me so far but I have only used on mostly clear running mountain streams that even might have been ok without treatment.

drm

Post by drm » August 10th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Bosterson wrote:
June 22nd, 2021, 10:58 am
I stopped bothering with a filter a few years ago and now just take a USB rechargeable Steripen. . . I don't see a reason to ever go back to a filter except for really long trips or big groups that need lots of water or something.
As long as you're not the type of person who might forget to recharge it between trips. I am absolutely positive that would happen to me a few times a year.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » August 10th, 2021, 4:06 pm

Over the years, I've used halazone tabs, a pump-type filter, various Sawyer purifiers and the Steripen. Now, I always carry a bottle of halazone as a backup to the USB-battery powered Steripen. My brother carries a Sawyer Squeeze. I appreciate that because it keeps him amused and occupied for at least 30 minutes/day!

The new version of the Steripen works very well, unlike its predecessor that relied on pricey batteries that always seem to run out.

Keith

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 27th, 2021, 8:14 am

"My brother carries a Sawyer Squeeze. I appreciate that because it keeps him amused and occupied for at least 30 minutes/day!"

I use a Squeeze. I store untreated water, and then it takes 2 minutes to squeeze a pint of water. I'll do that 3 or 4 times per day, but it's usually at a convenient moment, like at camp.

I don't treat water I'm boiling anyway - about 4 pints per day.

Water filtration is one of those strongly opinioned issues. I am definitely right and anyone that disagrees is definitely wrong :)