can someone help me to understand crampons?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
falcorr

can someone help me to understand crampons?

Post by falcorr » September 4th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Im trying to get figure out which crampons are the best fit for me and whether or not my boots have welts. The boots I have are mountain Boots. They're called Rocky Blizzards. The crampons I'm looking at or the Petzl Vasak. I think I need the flex lock, I'm not sure. I'm looking into getting basic gear to start mountain climbing, or at least have for a random occasion. Is it worth spending the extra $100 or so for the flex lock over the lever lock. Is there any kind of loss in performance? I was also considering the black diamond brand. Recommendation? Suggestions?

Bosterson

Re: can someone help me to understand crampons?

Post by Bosterson » September 4th, 2021, 2:21 pm

Those boots are hunting boots and they do not have crampon welts. Look up La Sportiva Nepal boots as an example - the plastic reinforced notches at the toe and heel are the crampon welts. For the boots you have, any simple strap on crampon (ie, straps for both toe and heel, no lever) should work. Petzl makes excellent crampons, so does Black Diamond, so does Grivel. Even basic CAMP brand crampons would be fine. I would get whichever 10 point strap on crampon is cheapest on sale. Just be sure to get steel rather than aluminum, for durability. Lots of outdoor retailers currently have Labor Day sales for those brands and will have a better (or at least more reliable and trustworthy) selection than Amazon.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 4th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Welcome, luck dragon. :mrgreen:

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 4th, 2021, 6:28 pm

falcorr wrote:
September 4th, 2021, 1:41 pm
I'm looking into getting basic gear to start mountain climbing, or at least have for a random occasion.
You never know when you might randomly need crampons, right? :D

Anyway, a possibility to consider:
Buy an axe, and Microspikes (or similar) for your boots, and then you'll have great versatility for various types of terrain/conditions. I'm not saying this is the best thing to do, I'm just pointing out an option that might work better for you. [Microspikes should not be considered for steep icy routes, but that's probably not where you'll start anyway.]
Attachments
spikes.jpg
spikes.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 16334 times