Police arrest suspects in Gorge car breakins

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
meana39

Police arrest suspects in Gorge car breakins

Post by meana39 » October 1st, 2008, 5:33 pm

My husband came home from work telling me about seeing these guys being arrested and not knowing what was up...then he heard on the radio today about the story.

Here it is on KGW.com:

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/k ... 28d58.html
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

jeffstatt

Re: Police arrest suspects in Gorge car breakins

Post by jeffstatt » October 2nd, 2008, 6:53 am

Yeah - I saw an article in yesterday's Columbian about it as well. I meant to share that. Thanks!

I haven't looked at your link yet - so some of this might be redundant:

The Columbian article mentioned not to expect this arrest to curtail trailhead crime...that there are plenty of other folks out there still.

It also mentioned that leaving the windows down was not necessarily a deturant to getting your windows smashed. Many times they'll get smashed anyways "just for the fun of it".

Is said that law enforcement had stickers to give out that you can put on your window that say "no valuables are in this vehicle".

EDIT:
For what its worth, here's the link to the article in the Columbian:
http://www.columbian.com/article/200810 ... /809309905

meana39

Post by meana39 » October 2nd, 2008, 2:30 pm

jeffstatt wrote:
Is said that law enforcement had stickers to give out that you can put on your window that say "no valuables are in this vehicle".
I can't imagine that a sticker would deter anyone, why would they believe a sticker?
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » October 3rd, 2008, 12:39 pm

Maybe a better sticker would be:

"I am watching this car with a sniper rifle....make my day!"

airdrum

Post by airdrum » October 3rd, 2008, 1:06 pm

backcountry, you have just touched the actual solution to the problem, but it's not PC enough for anyone to ever bring up, bravo!
Andy

meana39

Post by meana39 » October 5th, 2008, 12:25 pm

yeah....I like THAT sticker! Would certainly make someone think twice before breaking a window.

Peder

Post by Peder » October 5th, 2008, 12:49 pm

At the Eagle Creek Park Parking I recently saw a car that had tried to address the issue of break-ins: All glove compartments and storage areas within the car were open and empty. The hatchback’s storage area was likewise uncovered and empty. The only loose item inside the car was the parking permit... If the car owners had plans to change shoes after their hike, the footwear was being carried on the hike! I am considering using this approach.

A good friend has used the principle of never locking his car for the past 30 years. To date it has worked and his car windows have never been smashed. One drawback: I suspect that my insurance company will refuse to cover any theft from (or of) an unlocked car...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…