Portland to Mt. Hood trail

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
romann

Portland to Mt. Hood trail

Post by romann » April 8th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Portland to Mt. Hood trail is proposed as stimulus money become available. This is pretty long for hiking and is planned for bikers in the first place, but it's still great to have a direct connection. I think long-distance hikers or runners will use it too. The plan of building a section through Sandy is ready, and from there the path goes on low-use and forest roads in MHNF.

http://www.kgw.com/video/featured-video ... 21497.html - news video

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/04/06/sa ... ike-route/ - the story

Charley

Re: Portland to Mt. Hood trail

Post by Charley » April 9th, 2010, 10:05 am

It'd be great for bike touring!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

ErinL

Post by ErinL » April 9th, 2010, 11:51 am

I saw this story on the news last night. I am not a big bike rider, but I do use the Springwater Corridor every once and a while. I would love, love, love to do this if they finish it. I think it's great news.

raven

Post by raven » April 9th, 2010, 3:24 pm

As a temporary alternative hike, consider an available walking route. A walk alomg the shoreline of the Columbia starting just outside Troutdale -- that's the start of the C Gorge Scenic Area -- brings one to the Bridal Veil overpass and access to Angel's Rest Trail and continuous backcountry trails leading via the PCT to Hood.

To get to the takeoff from town there are two alternatives. First, Trimet buses go to downtown Troutdale, and a walk south to the next bridge across the Sandy R. provides access to a short road walk north to the Columbia. Second, an alternative is to walk along The Marine Drive Trail which, with short road stretches and walking through Blue Lake's park, leads to the Sandy. To get to Marine Drive, take MAX or another route to the airport (PDX), where a multi-use trail leads. Of course, MAX offers connections to buses to Troutdale for those landing at PDX who want to start walking immediately.

Now the site has a more complete story to provide to visitors from away.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 15th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Raven, do you have a source for this info? I've not seen or heard anything and I live in Troutdale. It would be a fun hike as well as a possible way for visitors to the area who want to get out into the Gorge, where there's no public transit on the Oregon side, to backpack.

mattbeck

Post by mattbeck » April 19th, 2010, 2:00 pm

I'd love to see more details about this as well.

raven

Post by raven » April 20th, 2010, 12:33 am

GH, you gonna make me do your work? Google knows all and details may change.

Trimet says the 77 bus travels from Montgomery Park in NW Portlamd to the Glen Otto Community Park in Troutdale, a few feet from a Bridge across the Sandy. A bit better than downtown, but a short walk from downtown should supplies be needed or a meal or coffeee be wanted. It turns out that the 77 starts in northwest Portland, passes the train and bus stations, and then heads out Halsey. From PDX the 42nd street MAX station is the best transfer for the 77 bus; Trader Joe's is across Halsey for grocery purchases. See
http://ride.trimet.org/?tool=routes&find=77

On the PDX multi-use path -- it's a lot less convenient than I imagined -- see the map at
http://www.flypdx.com/pdfpop/PDX_Vicini ... ke_Ped.pdf

Look up the Marine Drive Trail for yourself.

Use Google Maps or the PH maps to examine the Gorge route. Note that the Gorge starts at exit 18 of i-84 at the Sandy River, that the Corbett exit is 21, that Rooster Rock is 25, and that the Bridal Veil exit is mile 28 -- 10 miles. About 2 or 3 miles seem to be very close to I-84, making water level a concern. In the aerial photos some vegetation is visible beside the freeway, so there is hope for good footing in the worst case. The national forest begins beside the Sandy River north of the freeway, so one can camp after a mile or mile and a half from the bus stop, out of sight of the freeway. Noisy, unfortunately. The next day the walk to the Angel's Rest trail head would be less than ten miles.

There may be some difficult creek crossings -- most likely Young's Creek before the Rooster Rock exit. If one has a packraft, the current by shore might be so slight one could make headway. With a packraft, it might be a fun trip to pass under the freeway at Young's Creek and to explore the wetland area between the freeway and the Old Highway. Then one could walk the Old Highway, which has by then descended from Crown Point.

Do I recommend this route? No. But doing it might be a fun explore. And I may do the route for a one way return to town from a hike starting near Mount Hood, perhaps with a packraft. Then I can take Trimet home.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 20th, 2010, 3:02 pm

I wasn't asking anyone to look up things for me! I am fully aware of how to use the TriMet website and have no interest in the bus routes--I already live in Troutdale! I was just wondering where the foot route goes after it leaves the Sandy River bridge. I also checked the Field Guide and found no evidence that the hikes listed west of Angel's Rest are connected in any way--they're all out and back except for the Latourell loop.

I have found Google Maps to be inaccurate enough that I won't rely on them for any detail. Has anyone actually walked this route? I gathered from your description that you haven't. I personally would not want to be sandwiched between I-84 and the river--in several places there is nothing but piles of big rocks there, which sounds not only uncomfortable but dangerous for my dog.

It would be great if there were something more pedestrian-friendly and farther from the interstate, though!