Hiker died in Silver Falls State Park

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
romann

Hiker died in Silver Falls State Park

Post by romann » March 29th, 2010, 9:53 am

Another sad news.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Man-dies-in-fal ... 33807.html

The hiker was from my university campus, and probably even my colleague (I work in IT student position in WSU but don't know him personally - our department is spread across several locations - but have probably seen him many times on campus). He was hiking with the WSU group, then 3 of the group split off and he hiked off-trail to an edge, probably to get a better view.

WSU hiking group have really gained popularity and had regular outings. I saw them on Silver Star last fall.

Stevefromdodge

Re: Hiker died in Silver Falls State Park

Post by Stevefromdodge » March 29th, 2010, 12:12 pm

Very sad.

From the KGW pictures, it looks like he may have fallen from the top of Middle North Falls. There's a piece of former trail that looks like it still sees a lot of use. The cable safeguards there have been broken for a long time and the area was marked off limits for safety reasons.

Be careful out there people.