Missing hiker, possibly near Table Mountain

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Martell

Missing hiker, possibly near Table Mountain

Post by Martell » March 8th, 2010, 12:30 am

-Dan
Site Tech Helper

ElphabaNorthWest

Re: Missing hiker, possibly near Table Mountain

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » March 8th, 2010, 8:52 am

I hope she is okay, but it doesn't sound good. One thing that struck me though, the roommates call in a missing persons on Thursday evening and no one start looking for her until Sunday? What! Why wasn't search and rescue called out on Friday when there might have been a good chance of finding this woman alive?

Also, for those of you (us) who hike alone. Please take your cell phone with you. It increases your chances of survival even in places with no cell service, because they can bring in a helicopter and 'ping' for your phone. Don't leave your phone in the car.

Martell

Post by Martell » March 8th, 2010, 9:08 am

One thing I found strange is that she texted a friend that she was going for a short hike, and the receipt was found "near" Table Mountain. Table Mountain is a pretty good hike from that trailhead, but maybe "near" Table Mountain just meant within several miles? There aren't too many details at this point, but hopefully they are able to find her.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » March 8th, 2010, 9:40 am

I had the exact same reaction when reading the text message. To leave the trailhead at 3p seems really late to hike in that area around Table Mountain. And, as a woman who often hikes solo, I cannot imagine leaving my dog at home unless he were injured or the trail doesn't allow them. And why did the search not start sooner? None of this information makes sense to me. I really hope that the search efforts are successful and that the hiker returns safely!
Kam

Narrow Urethra

Post by Narrow Urethra » March 8th, 2010, 9:50 am

Sad.

klossner

Post by klossner » March 8th, 2010, 11:17 am

ElphabaNorthWest wrote:One thing that struck me though, the roommates call in a missing persons on Thursday evening and no one start looking for her until Sunday?
The missing person report was called in Saturday night.

ElphabaNorthWest

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » March 8th, 2010, 1:56 pm

klossner wrote:
ElphabaNorthWest wrote:One thing that struck me though, the roommates call in a missing persons on Thursday evening and no one start looking for her until Sunday?
The missing person report was called in Saturday night.
The article I read said the roommates called Portland police 1am on Thursday night. Who knows if that's accurate though. News reporting has gone downhill in the last few years...

I find it hard to believe that if your roommate says she's out hiking and she'll be home at 8pm that you wouldn't bother to report her missing for two whole days. If my friend/roommate or whatever went missing I would be out there looking for them the next day unless they had a habit of not showing up when they said they would. I also would probably call every agency I could think of, but that's just me.

romann

Post by romann » March 8th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Her friend said she doesn't usually litter, expecially on the trail. I'd bet it not, but could she drop the receipt intentionally when she got in trouble? Have S&R search an immediate area where the receipt was found? When and where exactly the receipt was found?

I am wondering as well why she came unprepared and late to this hike (as an experienced hiker she had to be prepared more than usual if she had a chance to stay into late night), and why she left her dog behind. The delay in S&R is too long since her car was found the night she was missing.

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » March 8th, 2010, 2:29 pm

This updated report states that the search started Friday...very confusing/conflicting information. But it does appear that s&r efforts have ramped up with the addition of helicopters, etc. With this newest report, I'm confused as to why they think she's just "lost" and not a crime victim? With Table Mountain and surrounding peaks to the north and Hwy 14 to the south, seems unlikely that getting lost in that area is the reason she is missing - especially considering her friends call her an experienced, avid hiker. The terrain of the Gorge is quite distinctive and one doesn't seem as susceptible to getting lost. Doesn't seem prudent to rule out abduction or other possible scenarios...

Here's katu's latest report: http://www.katu.com/news/local/86941687.html
Kam

romann

Post by romann » March 8th, 2010, 2:46 pm