Hiker fallen in Mt St Helens crater

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
jessbee

Re: Hiker fallen in Mt St Helens crater

Post by jessbee » February 16th, 2010, 6:07 am

anna in boots wrote: nothing is more appreciated than a laugh. In fact, a good giggle separates the quick and the dead in such situations.
anna in boots
Yup, I agree...when you're at the scene, not typing away on your computer.

I've been there too, read the book, yadda yadda. Just seems like there'd be more worthwhile things to say regarding the accident. But what do I know. 90% of these postings are useless chatter anyways. Ugh and I got dragged into it this time.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 16th, 2010, 7:14 am

I just heard on the TV (not very reliable source :) ) that he was posing for a picture, stepped back, back, back, then fell off the edge.

I've done that a few times. Or taking a picture and moving to find a better angle without looking where I was going and almost falling off an edge.

The other thing that yesterday a helicopter got within 50 feet of him and he made no movement.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » February 16th, 2010, 9:59 am

retired jerry wrote:I just heard on the TV (not very reliable source :) )
So true, Jerry! Have you ever noticed that the whopping majority of "news" is bad news? I think it was Carlin who pointed out a curious symbiotic relationship between the media, commercials and the public: the media supplies the stress, the commercial offers the solution to the stress, and the public keeps the whole engine running by taking everything both say for granted as true. In their fear, they stayed glued to the boobtube for updates, warnings, and reports so they can stay on top of the stress. They don't want to miss any stress.

They've lost all perspective. This is because if you use the news for your "daily report," you're getting a ludicrously distorted version of the truth. The truth is, the grand majority of visitors to Mt. St. Helens have a wonderful time. A huge percentage of hikers on the mountain experience only beauty and take away only pictures. A giant proportion of climbers on Helens complete their goal safely and return home victorious and proud. The mountain, itself, is one massive success story, evolving and reforesting itself at warp speed. We are lucky to be so close to such a wonder, we are wealthy in our ability to reach it so easily by car, walk up it so quickly on trails, and stand at the summit of an active volcano so recently redecorated. It's just amazing, outstanding!

Funny, the news must have forgotten to include all that in their recent report.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

fettster

Post by fettster » February 16th, 2010, 1:02 pm

Some updates including first-hand accounts of the incident here:
http://www.kgw.com/news/Climber-falls-i ... 13927.html

dalylab

Post by dalylab » February 16th, 2010, 2:44 pm

jessbee wrote:Chances are slim that he packed a sleeping bag. Most people who climb St. Helens prepare for a long day, not an overnight. Hopefully he is uninjured and is able to manage his temperature well enough. It's going to be a long night.
True enough - I was hoping for at least a Heatsheet or something similar. I do try for some kind of backup plan when I'm out even for a day. Of course, I'd prefer a warm comfy sleeping bag - and maybe some tea. :)
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you." - Dr. Seuss

Lurch

Post by Lurch » February 16th, 2010, 5:58 pm

News says they didn't make it. Not a surprise, the bad things happen when you think the dangerous bits are over and drop your guard. I know the news was reporting last night that he was blowing his whistle, but that report says he was unresponsive to the chopper within 3 hours.

To those of you who generally discount a whistle, dont! They're invaluable as a signal device. A good whistle will travel further through the woods than your voice, and doesn't take nearly as much effort. They'll work day or night, and in most weather.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » February 16th, 2010, 9:18 pm

Damn. My condolences to the family. I wonder what the autopsy will show: exposure, or injuries from the fall? Be careful out there, people.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... _body.html
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » February 16th, 2010, 9:47 pm

My heart goes out to everyone involved, especially the folks who were with him at the top. That's going to be a hard memory to live with.

Sounds like he lived a great life though.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

fettster

Post by fettster » February 16th, 2010, 10:55 pm

jessbee wrote:I wonder what the autopsy will show: exposure, or injuries from the fall? Be careful out there, people.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... _body.html
Yes, I do wonder the same thing. Photo posted with the above article:

Another sad ending in the Cascades.

fettster

Post by fettster » February 17th, 2010, 10:58 am

No autopsy was needed as apparently the injuries were severe enough to make the judgement:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/17/bohlig ... tml?hpt=T2

From the article
There will be no autopsy, Chris Lanz of the Skamania County, Washington, prosecuting attorney and coroner's office said Wednesday.

"It is obvious from an initial examination by coroners that Mr. Bohlig died from injuries as a result of the fall," Lanz told CNN.