Oregonian on Cape Horn

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
OneSpeed

Oregonian on Cape Horn

Post by OneSpeed » February 1st, 2010, 10:31 am

Did somebody already post this? I didn't see it. From today's Oregonian.

Cape Horn to Get a Forest Service-Designed Trail

anna in boots

Re: Oregonian on Cape Horn

Post by anna in boots » February 1st, 2010, 11:04 am

"Two nonmotorized tunnels, which will carry the trail beneath busy state and county highways, have funding through a federal highway program. Planned parking lots, restrooms and viewpoints lack similar funding, though the scenic area staff doesn't doubt they will be built. It's only a matter of when."

!!?! Hmm, I better get out there as often as possible before the ambiance of this place is blown for me.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

romann

Post by romann » February 1st, 2010, 11:07 pm

Although the trail was never officially built...
..boot path...

I think they didn't think about someone(s) who already put a large amount of work in it. It's really a gem right now; it cannot be "improved" in any way - they can only take away some of the viewpoints. Hope they will not find the funds to put a cop on each knoll there to keep us on trail (but overall user impact may make this a prudent thing to do).

At least if this trail gets more traffic then the other trails (Dog, Hamilton, etc) and Hwy 14 will get less traffic. So it's the bright side of it.

Roy

Post by Roy » February 2nd, 2010, 6:18 pm

I hiked this trail the first time last fall. I started from the park and ride and did the whole loop.
They had a nice map with instructions at the trail head, many copies in the box.
I had fun reading the map and actually doing some route finding.
I thought the best part was along the river cliffs and the waterfall.
Even walking up cape horn road so peacefull.

Glad I got to see it like this.
I guess what they plan beats the heck out of subdivisions!
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura