Mt Hood Rescue: "but public anger over costs has led ..."

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Aridd

Mt Hood Rescue: "but public anger over costs has led ..."

Post by Aridd » December 17th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Just thought i would share, since we made national news. :oops:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/227009?GT1=43002

Roy

Re: Mt Hood Rescue: "but public anger over costs has led ..."

Post by Roy » February 12th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Aridd wrote:Just thought i would share, since we made national news. :oops:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/227009?GT1=43002
My wife said why does know one seem to care about all the coast guard rescues, for the novice fisherman at the Columbia river bar?

I thought it was a good point.

It burns fuel and risks lives?
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

jessbee

Post by jessbee » February 12th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Roy wrote:
My wife said why does know one seem to care about all the coast guard rescues, for the novice fisherman at the Columbia river bar?

Well, because that's far less dramatic!

It's a society of entertain-me-now...30 second commercials, high-drama evening news. It has nothing to do with rational thought. This is America. These crazy mountain climbers, taking risks, you know, living their lives. People can't relate to that. We sue over spilling hot cups of coffee for crying out loud. :roll:

Sorry, end rant.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Roy

Post by Roy » February 12th, 2010, 9:49 pm

jessbee wrote:
Roy wrote:

Well, because that's far less dramatic!

It's a society of entertain-me-now...30 second commercials, high-drama evening news. It has nothing to do with rational thought. This is America. These crazy mountain climbers, taking risks, you know, living their lives. People can't relate to that. We sue over spilling hot cups of coffee for crying out loud. :roll:

Sorry, end rant.

No ranting here just the truth :)
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » February 13th, 2010, 8:48 am

Roy wrote: My wife said why does know one seem to care about all the coast guard rescues, for the novice fisherman at the Columbia river bar?

Because when somebody drowns because they flipped their too small boat, in too high seas and not wearing their PFD the event is over by the time the media can get there. The same would be true if some hunter gets lost in some distant forest in NE Oregon. When somebody gets lost on Hood all the media trucks roll up the Mountain, point their dishes to the sky and can send real time video out to the public for hours if not days. The airwaves are saturated by the reports of a particular SAR event eclipsing the reality of how many searches are actually performed in the state.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Roy

Post by Roy » February 13th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:
Roy wrote: My wife said why does know one seem to care about all the coast guard rescues, for the novice fisherman at the Columbia river bar?

Because when somebody drowns because they flipped their too small boat, in too high seas and not wearing their PFD the event is over by the time the media can get there. The same would be true if some hunter gets lost in some distant forest in NE Oregon. When somebody gets lost on Hood all the media trucks roll up the Mountain, point their dishes to the sky and can send real time video out to the public for hours if not days. The airwaves are saturated by the reports of a particular SAR event eclipsing the reality of how many searches are actually performed in the state.

I think you hit nail on the head.

By no means am I beating my chest, but I was an obsessive climber and back country skier for thirty years. I was one lame rock climber but on snow and ice I was comfortable.

Weather is everything as far as I am concerned. I still know the first snow and freezing levels.

This year was bad, early snow then cold dry weather for weeks hardened the early pack. Then heavy snow on top that .

I was not that surprised at the slide at Mt Hood meadows, as some one posted on this site.

I was nerd, at six years old weather fascinated me and still does.

Who knows maybe thats why I am still here,or luck?

klossner

Post by klossner » February 15th, 2010, 4:11 pm

The full quote is "but public anger over costs has led several states to implement charges." Those states do not include Oregon.

Newsweek couldn't get an inflammatory quote from anybody involved with the Mt Hood rescue. A "public information officer" for a park in Alaska speculated about the cost while defending their fee of $200.