"Novice hikers draining rescue crews"

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
retired jerry

Re: "Novice hikers draining rescue crews"

Post by retired jerry » October 27th, 2009, 4:17 pm

I have heard that the SPOT reception isn't very good.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

And since you get no feedback, if you push the 911 button, you don't know if it was received.

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » October 27th, 2009, 4:36 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the SPOT reception was spotty. I've had trouble getting a good GPS reading in places we've hiked, and it's also looking for satellites. My phone barely works at my house, I never would expect it to work out in the woods. Sometimes I wonder where people use these devices to call for help, because in the places we travel we're usually so socked in by trees I would never expect them to work in a pinch. Which I guess goes back to what folks were saying earlier about not relying on the gadgets.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

Martell

Post by Martell » October 28th, 2009, 9:38 am

People who are going to be too quick to press the button need a two way communication device. They can call someone more sensible than themselves who can talk to them without having to risk anyone's lives. A satellite phone isn't even all that expensive to rent for a week, especially for a one-time thing (like the father and son in the Grand Canyon).
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » October 28th, 2009, 9:44 am

Martell wrote:satellite phone isn't even all that expensive to rent for a week
This sounds like a fantastic idea. Why hasn't it been implemented for back country use before this?

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Martell

Post by Martell » October 28th, 2009, 9:49 am

I have rented a satellite pager for a couple multi-day trips, in case there was an emergency at work. I think it was around $40 a week.

You can get a phone in the $40-60 a week range. You pay a deposit and they mail it to you and then you mail it back when you are done. The per minute charges are high, but that would be a non-issue in an emergency.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

baker9903

Post by baker9903 » October 28th, 2009, 8:37 pm

Ditto on the satellite phone. My husband runs a high adventure program for the boy scouts (hood climbs, multi-day deschutes rafting) and he carries a sat phone for emergencies. I'm not sure what the cost is, but its a worthwhile expense to him.

I'm a little conflicted on charging people for certain rescues, by creating a "line" of what is a true emergency and what is not. Clearly, the dad and son team was a horrible abuse, but most scenarios are not so cut and dry. Who gets to decide what is an acceptable emergency, and what is not? How do you decide (after the fact) if someone was prepared enough to be in the backcountry?

Charley

Post by Charley » October 30th, 2009, 7:32 pm

baker9903 wrote:Who gets to decide what is an acceptable emergency, and what is not? How do you decide (after the fact) if someone was prepared enough to be in the backcountry?
I think that we should let those organizations (public and otherwise) that do the rescuing decide. I feel like they are experienced and altruistic enough to be able to tell the difference.
Charley
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 31st, 2009, 10:24 am

I like the idea of renting a satellite phone but from what I have read that they have the same signal issues that the spot has because of common satellite use. But I don't know if that is true. I will sometimes carry a small Handheld ham radio with me but even that has limitations. In the end it is wilderness and nothing beats telling somebody where you are and when you are coming back.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir