Latest: Brush fire breaks out near Multnomah Falls August 1,2023

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
flixter

Post by flixter » August 1st, 2023, 6:44 am

If you missed it!
To view this watch the video link at, see below link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUZwB8Rj25Q&t=18s
Pnwhiker.....

wildcat

Re: Latest: Brush fire breaks out near Multnomah Falls August 1,2023

Post by wildcat » August 5th, 2023, 9:28 pm

Ohhhh, lemmy guess. Piece-of-shit waste-of-space human trash flicks their cancerette butt out the brodozer window? (I don't have the sound on so I couldn't listen if she said where, specifically, it was and/or what caused it.) I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it was. Are people genuinely that stupid or just assholes?

You should see how many black patches there have gotten to be just over the past month and a half along Marine Drive between the Interstate Bridge and Troutdale. I think there are like three or four huge ones just along the airport section alone.
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

flixter

Post by flixter » August 6th, 2023, 8:23 am

To Wildcat:
Take some advice from and Old Man, that's been around for a Many Fire Season, Time will Take Care of Everything,
it moves only in one direction, That is Forward, Earth has Been Here Over 24 Billion Plus Years, and I'm
pretty sure your or I ain't gonna stop it. But just to show you how I handle Fire situation's when I stumble
upon them, watch this video I made of a camp fire left by some camper's smoldering I came upon on back on
July 2, 2015 at Twin Falls in the GPNF. It took me 10 buckets of water and 30 minutes to kill that camp fire,
that was abandoned by someone who for whatever reason, for good or bad, was to busy to take time.
Just do what you have to do to take care of a bad situation, hope this help. Video url link below.
http://www.pnwhiker.org/campfire/qcampfire.htm

wildcat

Post by wildcat » August 6th, 2023, 9:12 am

Okay.....

Well, anyways, lately around Clark County there seems to be an epidemic of roadside fires, mostly caused by assholes flicking their butts out their windows. I'll never understand that. Are people too stupid to reaslise there's probably an ashtray in their car, or barring that, too lazy to grab an empty can out of the recycle bin/glass out of the kitchen cupboard? The closer you get to the Lewis River the redder, more inbred and mentally ill the county's population tends to get, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Last night passing Broughton Beach at about 1930, a couple of idiots (looked like teens or 20-somethings) were in the sandbar having a campfire?!? (And with the sheriff's station right next to the park, no less.) They must not have gotten the memo that all of Multnomah County is, umm, under a burn ban? Or may have been too stoned/drunk/stoned and drunk to notice.

About 20 years ago my dad and I camped for a weekend at Fort Canby and the previous guest's campfire wasn't completely out (there were still glowing embers in the fire ring). I stuck a couple logs in to get it going again and we used it. I did make sure it was completely out before we left.

TL, DR: My 100th post and I used it to rant about idiots with no fire safety common sense. The times we live in.
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 15th, 2023, 5:03 pm

flixter wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 8:23 am
Earth has Been Here Over 24 Billion Plus Years
You're off by an order of magnitude, unless you have some inside information Old Man. :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 16th, 2023, 5:20 am

I camped at Dublin Lake on Tanner Butte.

Someone had left their fire going, and it got into tree roots.

It being winter, there was little chance of fire, but I put it out with quite a bit of water

flixter

Post by flixter » August 16th, 2023, 5:54 am

To Webfoot:
Good catch, type "O" on my part for Earth's Age, I was texting a person with a window's issue at the time, my bad mistake.
How that 2 got in there, a head of the 4, I will never know.
See below from Google.
The age of Earth is estimated to be 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years (4.54 × 109 years ± 1%).... This age may represent the age of Earth's accretion.

That's what happens when you get to being Old and past your prime, the old saying is, If you don't want to be a fool, you"ll learn mistakes come easy.
The only saving grace is that I can publicly state that I can freely admit to my mistakes, Time will Get You, Come On, Ahh..Ahh.. .
Pnwhiker.....

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 16th, 2023, 7:47 am

fat finger :)