Boulder Fire - SE of Mt Hood

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
drm

Boulder Fire - SE of Mt Hood

Post by drm » July 9th, 2023, 8:42 am

There is a new fire that seems to be centered between Boulder and Little Boulder Lakes, some miles south of Badger Lake. Latest reports are at 100 acres and many campgrounds in the area have been evacuated.

https://www.kptv.com/2023/07/09/level-3 ... al-forest/

Limey

Re: Boulder Fire - SE of Mt Hood

Post by Limey » July 9th, 2023, 7:39 pm

Later reports say it has grown to 100 acres. I love how they got the roads closed wrong. It's supposed to be 4880 and 4881.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 10th, 2023, 7:01 am

Boulder Lake is one of my summer go-to spots. Unfortunate that it could very well get crispy, hopefully the areas right around the lake can avoid the worst effects of the fire. I'm awaiting a clear fire boundary map.
instagram: @remyodyssey

lordgares

Post by lordgares » July 10th, 2023, 7:52 am

Watch Duty has a fairly good map and thermal imaging of hotspots that is updated a couple of times a day.

https://share.watchduty.org/i/6154
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 10th, 2023, 11:21 am

lordgares wrote:
July 10th, 2023, 7:52 am
Watch Duty has a fairly good map and thermal imaging of hotspots that is updated a couple of times a day.

https://share.watchduty.org/i/6154
That’s super helpful, thanks.
Hopefully the map showing the fire southeast of the lake (and burning east this week due to the wind forecast) bodes well for Boulder Lake.
The glorified swamp that is Little Boulder Lake, not so lucky.

lordgares

Post by lordgares » July 10th, 2023, 11:49 am

One of my family's favorite camping spots was on the east shore of Little Boulder, I don't have high hopes for being able to go back there any time soon. :(
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

drm

Post by drm » July 13th, 2023, 6:58 am

You will be able to go - it just won't look the same at all.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 13th, 2023, 2:59 pm

It sounds like crews are making good progress on containment lines, and so far the fire has not moved any closer to Boulder Lake... stopping a couple hundred yards short of the south shore.

One side benefit of the fire, at least the next time I go up to Boulder Lake the road will be in much better condition. Forest roads tend to get some pretty nice upgrades when they are used to access wildfires.