Man helps rescue woman who fell off trail near Multnomah Falls

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
squidvicious

Man helps rescue woman who fell off trail near Multnomah Falls

Post by squidvicious » June 15th, 2023, 9:20 pm

https://www.kptv.com/2023/06/15/man-hel ... mah-falls/

I think this is where that woman fell and died at Wiesendanger a year ago?

Here's the guy's original gopro video from his facebook
https://www.facebook.com/taylormroot/vi ... 2871880636

retired jerry

Re: Man helps rescue woman who fell off trail near Multnomah Falls

Post by retired jerry » June 16th, 2023, 5:01 am

wow! That's a great story. And a great video.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 2nd, 2023, 4:43 pm

Yeah, so, reconsidering any positive thoughts I may have had about this guy.

Turns out he was there for some stupid tiktok stunt where he hid a case with $1000 off the trail and broadcast for people to come look for it (though possibly not on the same day as the fall, that part was unclear).

Nothing to do with this woman falling, but certainly every chance it leads to something happening to someone else, since he's insisting it was a great idea that he intends to do again.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 2nd, 2023, 5:02 pm

Hopefully it wasn't where the guy died yesterday...

[Edit: better link:]
https://katu.com/news/local/hiker-dies- ... bett-fire#

As far as I can tell, this actually happened lower on the north part of the trail down above the road? And then there's this quote from someone described as a "hiker" and like what??
Hikers today said they can see why these accidents keep happening. "We notice it's really not safe. Like once you get past certain areas, they don't have the sidewalks anymore," said Khosravani.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 2nd, 2023, 5:37 pm

No, that's how I heard about it though, in a reddit thread discussing yesterday's fall.

Before there was any info out, people were speculating it could be connected (it wasn't, but apparently the sheriff's department had to actually make a statement that it wasn't connected?). Then things went off on a tangent of people calling the guy various synonyms for "idiot," until the guy himself joined the thread to explain how awesome the #cashboxchallenge is, and how awesome he is because he picked up trash on a hike once.

So yeah. Idiot.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 3rd, 2023, 5:20 am

They keep playing a clip of the sheriff saying "this is not a walk, this is a trail, a hiking trail"

I'd like a little more information for lessons learned so someone else doesn't make the same mistake. Like, did he get off the trail? Was he taking a picture and to get the right perspective step around without looking? (I've done that before but fortunately I didn't fall off the cliff)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 3rd, 2023, 5:22 am

The guy hiding $1000? - that reminds me of the Fenn treasure buried somewhere in the Southwest. Some people looking for it died. The treasure has been declared to be found but some people don't believe that and are still looking.

Yeah, not a good idea.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 3rd, 2023, 5:56 am

I'd like a little more information for lessons learned so someone else doesn't make the same mistake. Like, did he get off the trail? Was he taking a picture and to get the right perspective step around without looking? (I've done that before but fortunately I didn't fall off the cliff)
As far as that guy, there's really nothing to tell. They're saying that although there were people around, he wasn't with his family at the time so no one was specifically paying attention to him to say exactly what happened. But reconstructing from what they have said, it would have been on the first switchback, on a very very very crowded day. There's nowhere to go "off trail," no particular pictures to be taken there, so he almost certainly just moved aside to let people pass or take a breather and took a bad step. Slipped down the side then over the straight drop.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 3rd, 2023, 7:44 am

That makes sense

That would be a good learned lesson - if getting off trail to let people by, don't fall off cliff

drm

Post by drm » July 3rd, 2023, 8:55 am

Who knows. Maybe his phone beeped at him because he got a text and he lost focus on the trail. I think you can get a signal there.