Recreation.gov.

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
retired jerry

Re: Recreation.gov.

Post by retired jerry » April 8th, 2023, 5:36 am

they could pay for it with ads rather than a user fee

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 8th, 2023, 10:25 am

retired jerry wrote:
April 8th, 2023, 5:36 am
they could pay for it with ads rather than a user fee
Let's also line the highways with electronic ad billboards like they do in soccer arenas. Then we won't have to pay gas taxes! Do you really want all aspects of modern life to be like the horror of having to use the internet? Maybe every time you buy a permit on Rec.gov, you can also be entered in a drawing to see if you accidentally "overpaid" for a Norton antivirus subscription and you need to call a number in India for a "refund."

Relatedly, maybe since taxes already fund the government, then government appropriations could adequately fund government services without allowing scalping by a contractor. :idea:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 8th, 2023, 11:29 am

I currently have a Norton antivirus ad on my pc, telling me I should renew it. I'm too lazy to figure out how to make that go away.

Yeah, I agree, taxes should just pay for it

I don't mind ads that just occupy a portion of my screen. I object when a video pops up and audio starts playing and I have to search around to figure out how to kill it. Or, I think sometimes my PC hangs, waiting for an ad server to figure out what ad to serve me. Or, an ad that moves around distracting my view.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 8th, 2023, 3:28 pm

retired jerry wrote:
April 8th, 2023, 11:29 am
I currently have a Norton antivirus ad on my pc, telling me I should renew it. I'm too lazy to figure out how to make that go away.

Yeah, I agree, taxes should just pay for it

I don't mind ads that just occupy a portion of my screen. I object when a video pops up and audio starts playing and I have to search around to figure out how to kill it. Or, I think sometimes my PC hangs, waiting for an ad server to figure out what ad to serve me. Or, an ad that moves around distracting my view.
Ad blockers in your web browser are your friend.... Google uBlock Origin.

And I think recreation.gov is the devil's spawn..... I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for online permits, etc, but their fees are ridiculous.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson