Hiker and dog found dead near Walupt Lake (Aug 2022)

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Aimless

Re: Hiker and dog found dead near Walupt Lake (Aug 2022)

Post by Aimless » December 30th, 2022, 8:18 pm

I suspect the Lewis Co. detective assigned to this investigation is not actively pursuing it, but is simply waiting for some informant to come forward and provide a strong new lead to follow. Otherwise it is dead in the water, with no one willing to push hard on the few leads that already exist. Police work rarely resembles what we are shown on television and small town policing is, if anything, even more political than big city policing.

Jbar290

Post by Jbar290 » December 31st, 2022, 2:20 pm

“on Oct. 26, the Lewis County Coroner’s Office ruled Christensen’s death a homicide caused by a gunshot wound to the chest. The next day, the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office referred first-degree manslaughter and animal cruelty charges against two suspects — Michael Asbach, 20, of Tenino, and a 17-year-old girl from Rochester. The prosecutor’s office referred the case back to the sheriff’s office on Nov. 2 for further investigation.”

Yikes

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » December 31st, 2022, 6:00 pm

The prosecutor’s office referred the case back to the sheriff’s office on Nov. 2 for further investigation.
This reads like the prosecutor's office didn't feel the evidence was sufficient to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Wasn't the crime scene snowed in by 2 Nov? If so, might be difficult to obtain further evidence from the crime scene. And even if it was possible, the protocols in place would almost certainly prevent public disclosure of means, methods, and any evidence developed pre charging and pre trial.

A very unfortunate story and I hope justice will be served, but I'm not sure malfeasance or cover-up by the Sheriff's office is in play.

Burnside
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Water

Post by Water » January 3rd, 2023, 10:30 pm

probably more like misconduct? What's the Lewis County Sheriff Office's policies on finding deceased persons?

https://snazafiles.com/2022/11/shoddy-work/

How does a casual hiker say possible gunshot, but this LEO arrives and says no? Like if in doubt, follow that directive not to move anything if it appears suspicious? I guess this is subjective but... I have rarely if ever heard of deceased people from puncture wounds while hiking. Like I could maybe understand finding a single car accident with a deceased person ejected from the vehicle isn't 'suspicious'.

They screwed this up in regards to the crime scene. And then there's clearly something with the perpetrator's family connection on top of that, otherwise you'd never relay this 'good kids' bullshit. Trying to shift the attention from LCSO incompetence by telling the family some BS story about 'good kids' or laced MJ, widowmaker heart, etc.
Feel Free to Feel Free

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » January 14th, 2023, 11:29 pm

This story is so depressing. For whatever reason it just popped into my head yesterday to check for any updates on this. If we're being honest, it's the dog being shot that really gets me.

Anyway, I for one sure am shocked at police malpractice. They're normally such diligent and hardworking public servants.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 13th, 2023, 11:34 am

that is a pretty sad story Nate, thanks for posting that

it sort of reminds me of that Murdaugh story in South Carolina, except eventually justice prevailed

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 13th, 2023, 1:05 pm

The shooter's claim that he thought the hiker was a mountain lion could only be true if he were in a total blind panic that prevented him from thinking at all. Puppies do not sound like mountain lions. Hikers do not look like mountain lions. If he'd taken even a brief moment to assess what he was shooting at before pulling that trigger the whole tragedy would have been averted. (It also would have been averted if he had not been carrying a loaded firearm.) The other strong evidence of blind panic is that after killing the hiker and his dog he and his friend left the scene and the body was only discovered by others.

However inadvertent the outcome was, this was undeniably criminal behavior. Those who choose to carry guns must be held to the highest standard of responsibility for its use. In my view, the Lewis Co. sheriff and prosecutor have proved themselves incapable of performing their jobs and should lose their positions and their credentials as officers of the court.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » April 15th, 2023, 6:21 am

It's actually hard to hit anything with a handgun, especially when scared. Shooting that puppy should be proof enough that this wasn't some act of self defense. The guy needed careful aim (or really good luck) to hit both targets, one of them being that small. The problem is always going to be proving intent but they should have at least tried to prosecute. Maybe one day this couple will break up and the jilted partner will speak up.
- Michael

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 15th, 2023, 9:32 am

A charge of manslaughter would have solved the problem of proving intent.