Fire Restrictions in Gifford Pinchot NF

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
drm

Fire Restrictions in Gifford Pinchot NF

Post by drm » August 6th, 2022, 10:10 am

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordp ... PRD1047647

Release Date: Aug 5, 2022

VANCOUVER, Wa – Aug. 5, 2022 - Due to increased risk of wildfires, Gifford Pinchot National Forest fire managers have issued restrictions on campfires, smoking, and other activities within the forest. These restrictions will begin Monday, Aug. 8.

Developed sites ok.Prohibitions include:

Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire, including a charcoal fire and pellet fire on all Gifford Pinchot general forest land and developed campgrounds.
Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a designated campground, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material.
Possessing, discharging, or using any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device
Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order.

The following exemptions apply:

Portable cooking stoves, lanterns, and heating devices using liquefied or bottled fuel, such as propane, are still allowed as they can be instantly switched off.
Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire or charcoal fire is authorized in the following developed recreational sites except those campgrounds that are gated:
Cowlitz Valley Ranger District

Adams Fork Campground
Big Creek Campground
Blue Lake Creek Campground
Cat Creek Campground **NOT CHIMNEY AREA**
Cispus Learning Center
Cody Horse Camp
Horseshoe Lake Campground
Iron Creek Campground
La Wis Wis Campground
Keenes Horse Camp
Killen Creek Campground
North Fork (Main and Group)
Olallie Lake Campground
Soda Springs Campground
Takhlakh Lake Campground
Tower Rock Campground
Walupt Lake Campground
Walupt Horse Camp

Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument

Green River Horse Camp
Kalama Horse Camp
Sunset Falls Campground

Mt Adams Ranger District

Atkisson Group Camp
Beaver Campground
Canyon Creek Campground
Cold Springs Indian Campground
Crest Horse Campground
Cultus Creek Campground
Falls Creek Horse Camp
Forlorn Lakes Campground
Goose Lake Campground
Government Mineral Springs Campground (Includes Guard Station)
Hemlock Picnic Area Campground
Lewis River Horse Camp
Little Goose Campground
Lower Falls Campground
Moss Creek Campground
Oklahoma Campground
Panther Creek Campground
Panther Creek Horse Camp
Paradise Creek Campground
Peterson Prairie Campground
Smokey Creek Campground
Tillicum Campground
Trout Lake Creek Campground
Twin Falls Campground

“We are seeing extremely hot and dry conditions on the forest,” said Dirk Shupe, Fire Management Staff Officer for the Gifford Pinchot and Mt. Hood National Forests. “With a dry summer ahead, we want to limit the unnecessary risk caused by abandoned or escaped campfires to our local communities, and the recreating public.”

Nearly nine out of ten wildfires nationwide are human caused and can be prevented. Everyone can do their part to help prevent wildfires. Smokey Bear’s message of preventing unwanted human-caused ignitions is more relevant today than ever before as more people live closer to wildlands and recreate outdoors.

For Gifford Pinchot National Forest fire information please visit: https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/giffordpinchot/fire

For more information about the local and regional fire outlook visit: https://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/predict/outlook.aspx

wildcat

Re: Fire Restrictions in Gifford Pinchot NF

Post by wildcat » August 7th, 2022, 10:04 am

I hate how they write these things in a way that tries to mimic the right-wing owned commercial mass media. It really makes it hard to take seriously when they're styled like newspaper articles. They could have cut those two filler paragraphs at the end (between the Mount Adams list and the URLs) and it would have gotten the point across just as effectively, if not more so.
Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order.
Sweet! The way catalytic converter thefts are these days, this would eliminate at least 75% of motor vehicle traffic arriving from Vancouver or Portland. :lol:
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 29th, 2022, 1:35 pm

After driving on a couple of gravel roads in GPNF on Saturday, I suspect (a) the prohibition was lifted or (b) nobody cares to enforce it...especially when its a mere 45 degrees at 10 am. Brrr it was cold. I was hiking in my shorts, expecting 55 as the low, but I got warm 20 minutes into the ascent.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 29th, 2022, 2:40 pm

I suspect (a) the prohibition was lifted or (b) nobody cares to enforce it

If you saw people with fires outside of regulation fire pits in the 40 or so campgrounds listed in the public notice, then it seems to me more accurate to say that no one cared to comply with the ban. Enforcing the ban everywhere in a place as enormous as the GPNF would require far more employees than work there.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 29th, 2022, 7:42 pm

Aimless wrote:
August 29th, 2022, 2:40 pm
If you saw people with fires outside of regulation fire pits in the 40 or so campgrounds listed in the public notice, then it seems to me more accurate to say that no one cared to comply with the ban.
Same story every year. Yesterday at Cast Lake in the Mt. Hood Forest we came across a campfire that smelled like it had recently been burning and sure enough when I put my hand down the ash was hot. Unbelievable. :roll: