eagle creek opened, then closed again

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
retired jerry

eagle creek opened, then closed again

Post by retired jerry » May 15th, 2022, 12:15 pm

https://www.wweek.com/outdoors/2022/05/ ... 51cad91971

if wweek is to be believed, Eagle Creek exit opened again for the trail and campground, and a day later the trail closed because of a landslide - 25 feet of trail covered, no word when it will be cleared

From the phot it looks like you could walk across the slide. The Forest Service probably doesn't want you to.

AlpenGlowHiker

Re: eagle creek opened, then closed again

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » May 17th, 2022, 5:34 am

According to a Facebook post, it appears that trail crews have cleared the slide and it is now open.

drm

Re: eagle creek opened, then closed again

Post by drm » May 25th, 2022, 11:45 am

I camped about 7 miles in last night. The upper valley suffered widespread high intensity burn. Brush and black sticks now. And there are fewer sites now, I got there at 1pm on a Tuesday and got the last site in the upper canyon, though that was partly because there was a trail crew filling most of 7.5 mile camp.

I was told by somebody who made it to Wahtum Lake that snow started at about 10.5 miles, which would be just beyond the Indian Springs junction I think, quite a ways from the lake still. There is also a lot of blowdown beyond the lookout corner, which the PCTAers called Inspiration Point.