Ticketed access to HCRH waterfall corridor

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
johnspeth

Re: Ticketed access to HCRH waterfall corridor

Post by johnspeth » February 22nd, 2022, 8:42 am

I'm as P.O.d as Water and I agree with what he wrote. As an individual, there's little I can do to change it, not counting political activism. So in the meantime, my human nature, which is shared by many, will lead me to the challenge of trying to successfully break the new rules. Most hikes are challenging. The new rules add to the challenge.

I think in practice, it'll be the honor system that might make this program a success. Only toll booths will work and nobody wants that. There will be so many ways to get in free and clear.

(I'm sorry if some folks think my attitude is selfish or worst. I've hiked with no public land access costs all of my life. It's my birthright.)

Limey

Post by Limey » February 22nd, 2022, 10:13 am

Channel 2 says: "They'll be available online for a designated time slot". Are they referring to the 9am to 6pm or will you have to get a pass for what time you want to go?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 22nd, 2022, 1:20 pm

Limey wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 10:13 am
Channel 2 says: "They'll be available online for a designated time slot". Are they referring to the 9am to 6pm or will you have to get a pass for what time you want to go?
Seems like there are a lot more questions than answers right now. Another one: if you want to go to Multnomah Falls, do you need TWO reservations?

The Yosemite driving reservations are for a day, not a time. I suspect that's what they'd do here.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » February 23rd, 2022, 12:56 pm

gallione11 wrote:
February 21st, 2022, 2:24 pm
At least the timing coincides when I stop Gorge hiking and switch to Mount Hood, but another terrible system
As will a significant number of other people. Not that they haven't switched to Mount Hood as evidenced by the crowed Hwy 26 and parking areas. I think we can all agree that there are just too many people.

Perhaps it's time we reduce even more commercial timber harvests in our National Forests and build more trails to accommodate the added bootprints.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 23rd, 2022, 1:11 pm

You probably wouldn't need to impact timber harvesting

New trails would mostly go in Wilderness or wild areas

Even if you went through a cut area, just close it while you're cutting, then re-open. Maybe they could make an alternate route to bypass the cut area.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » February 23rd, 2022, 1:42 pm

retired jerry wrote:
February 23rd, 2022, 1:11 pm
You probably wouldn't need to impact timber harvesting

New trails would mostly go in Wilderness or wild areas

Even if you went through a cut area, just close it while you're cutting, then re-open. Maybe they could make an alternate route to bypass the cut area.
That is true, but closing those areas during harvest doesn't necessarily resolve access issues, and who really enjoys hiking through a logged area. Having said that, it is still a compromise that adds trails to accommodate increased demand. And they could keep a buffer area alongside trails.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

jdemott

Post by jdemott » February 23rd, 2022, 4:32 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:
February 23rd, 2022, 12:56 pm
I think we can all agree that there are just too many people.
That's the whole story in a nutshell. Too...many...people.
Waffle Stomper wrote:
February 23rd, 2022, 12:56 pm
Perhaps it's time we reduce even more commercial timber harvests in our National Forests and build more trails to accommodate the added bootprints.
The sad reality is that USFS budgets depend on timber harvests. Forty years ago, logging was going full speed and there was plenty of money for trail maintenance. Not so much now.

drm

Post by drm » February 24th, 2022, 8:39 am

I think that in all the years I have lived in the Northwest I have hiked in that corridor a few times - could count on one hand, as they say.

I generally do not prefer to hike in crowded areas, though I occasionally make exceptions (Eagle Creek, Lewis River Lower Falls). For me, the answer to hiking areas that are over-crowded or over-regulated (or sometimes both), is to not go there any more. There are plenty of other place to hike, and it might even lower your blood pressure a bit. Haven't done the Dog Mtn flowers in a few years either. And by the way, over-regulated to me may or not mean bad regulation. Even if it is perfectly designed and desperately needed, it can still be too much for me to put up with. I don't like to plan ahead and I don't like fixed and designated campsites. Spontaneity is very important to me, and fortunately I know there will always be places like that to go find that experience.

I know that some people really get attached to a specific place and want to go there for the rest of their lives. That's understandable. But if you can break away from that, it will do you a lot of good.

And you might say that is easy for me to say because my preferred area is Mt Adams. But I already avoid the Cold Springs trailhead due to crowds, even though it is a great trailhead for hikes that don't climb the mountain. Even though that trailhead will one day have a regulated limit, it won't affect me since I already rarely go there.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 24th, 2022, 8:50 am

" Even if it is perfectly designed and desperately needed, it can still be too much for me to put up with."

Yeah, maybe the Wonderland trail around Mt Rainier is properly regulated but I don't want to have to sign up for speciific sites on specific nights

Or High Divide or Grand Valley in Olympics

Guy

Post by Guy » March 16th, 2022, 7:29 am

I'm late to the party here, but those of you who know me will know that I don't support this and I'll be open about finding ways to subvert it.

I tend to hike these trails on Summer evenings after work as it's close enough to get to by 5:00pm. There was never a problem parking anywhere along the highway after 5:00 and the trails were never busy. Running the program to 6:00pm shuts off this option.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors