Central Cascades permit changes

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
aaburles

Re: Central Cascades permit changes

Post by aaburles » July 25th, 2022, 11:45 am

The weekend before last 7-16 I was at a family camping trip in the Metolius River area and someone there wanted to go for a hike and had never been on the Jack Lake trail to the base of Three Fingered Jack. It didn't even cross my mind that that TH would need a CC permit. I've hiked this trail so many times years ago that I didn't look at the info board at the TH. We were at the point where you get your first glimpse of Three Fingered Jack and a wilderness ranger is coming our way. I haven't seen a wilderness ranger is years. He asks to see our permits and informs us he could write us a ticket for $250ea for a total of $500 for not having the proper permits. Educates us on why and how to get the permits. He did let us go on our way with a warning and let us finish our hike. So the wilderness rangers are out there.

Water

Post by Water » August 1st, 2022, 9:41 pm

It's amazing they've found so many resources to enforce a permit system when they were absolutely powerless and had no resources to address the bad actors or any of the existing wilderness regulations on the self issue permits at the 7-8 locations their own data identified as going over peak carrying capacity 4 weekends a year...
Feel Free to Feel Free

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 2nd, 2022, 5:21 am

You should have told the ranger that you knew there was a fee but refused to pay it. Give me a ticket and I'll fight it in court :)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 21st, 2022, 10:16 am

Aimless wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 7:40 am
As I understand it, you are expected to print out a copy of your permit. I don't know if it has one section for your vehicle and another to take with you into the wilderness, but I'm guessing that's true.
I'm leaving tomorrow so I printed out my permit yesterday. To set the record straight, there is no part of the permit intended to remain at your vehicle. You just print it out and carry it with you. (To be safe I printed a second copy to bury inside my pack, in case the primary one gets lost or damaged.)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 25th, 2022, 10:46 am

My group was fortunate to score a permit for the Marion Lake TH earlier this month.

We had a pleasant interaction with a ranger at Jorn Lake in the Eight Lakes Basin earlier this month. He approached our campsite, asked us how we were doing, and didn't ask for our permit. I proactively handed him the permit and he gave it a close look. He asked us how the fishing was, and said that our lack of fishing success was similar to everyone in the Eight Lakes Basin that week.

What he DIDN'T do was give us a shake down, ask us if we had made any illegal fires or give us the 45-minute leave no trace lecture. I have to say this was the best and most pleasant, polite interaction we've had with rangers in the past 3 years.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando