Reopening Oneonta Gorge?

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
squidvicious

Reopening Oneonta Gorge?

Post by squidvicious » January 5th, 2022, 4:03 pm

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 003725002/

Apparently they're working on a plan, currently on a two-year time frame. Apart from the obvious ongoing safety issues, they want to take the opportunity to come up with some limited-entry, permit type system to stop the crowds. Yay, I guess?

BigBear

Re: Reopening Oneonta Gorge?

Post by BigBear » January 5th, 2022, 7:04 pm

I had not hiked up the Oneonta Gorge since the late 1990s. Back then there might be a half dozen people wading through the creek from the falls back to the highway bridge. It's not just the number of people in that photo which is surprising, its what's not in the photo: all of the cars.

Charley

Post by Charley » January 5th, 2022, 11:21 pm

squidvicious wrote:
January 5th, 2022, 4:03 pm
Yay, I guess?
I complain bitterly about the Forest Service's Central Cascades permits regularly. But a permit to access this Gorge makes a lot of sense. The ecology is kinda rare, the crowds are madness, there is no possibility of a sustainable trail, and the permit restricts only a tiny area, disconnected from the many important picnicking, water play, hiking, and backpacking facilities nearby, which would presumably remain easy to access.

In other words, this is the exact opposite of the Central Cascades Wilderness Permit system: in Oneonta Gorge, the benefits would be great, and the drawbacks few.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » January 6th, 2022, 3:49 pm

I don't think that Oneonta Gorge should be thought of as a hike, but as an epic place to play in the water. With the log jam being a jungle gym. A lot of other swimming spots get crowded on hot days, and there is nothing wrong with that. I realize that Oneonta has unique dangers from the possibility of rockfall. But permanently reducing access would be a bummer.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 6th, 2022, 9:41 pm

Crowds? What crowds? :|
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24974

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 8th, 2022, 7:55 pm

Chip Down wrote:
January 6th, 2022, 9:41 pm
Crowds? What crowds? :|
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24974
I wish that photographer were still posting here. I enjoy his work.