Popular Mount St. Helens Recreation Site Vandalized

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
drm

Popular Mount St. Helens Recreation Site Vandalized

Post by drm » October 13th, 2021, 2:01 pm

Press release

Vancouver, WA – Forest Service law enforcement officials are investigating recent damage at the popular Coldwater Lake Recreation Area at Mount St Helens National Volcanic Monument within Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

On October 9th or 10th, the restrooms at Coldwater Lake Recreation Area picnic site were vandalized. Three toilets and one urinal were completely smashed. Sink fixtures and plumbing were also damaged. These facilities will remain closed into the foreseeable future, which will negatively affect visitor’s experience at this year-round destination. Restrooms at the boat launch remain open at this time.

If anyone has information about the vandalism or saw anything that could help police make an arrest, please report this information to the Cowlitz County Sheriff’s office: 360-577-3098.

“It is disheartening that this vandalism has occurred,” said Rebecca Hoffman, Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument Ranger, “It will take time before these restrooms are able to be repaired, which negatively impacts this popular recreation site. To fix the damage it will cost an estimated $10,000 or more, and unfortunately this will divert already limited staff and funds from managing and maintaining other recreation facilities on the forest.”

Under the Code of Federal Regulations 36CFR.09a damaging any property of the United States may result in a maximum fine of $5000 and /or 6 months in jail. Restitution could also be awarded to recoup losses. This level of destruction of government property is also a felony under United States code.

According to local law enforcement officers, theft and vandalism on the forest are increasing significantly. If people see others vandalizing recreation sites or ecological resources on the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, they should report it as soon as possible.

The public should call 911 or the county sheriff’s non-emergency phone line to report crimes. When reporting crime, it is helpful to gather as much information about the incident as possible such as: description of people, location and/or license plate. If it feels safe to capture photos and video of an incident, this can be useful as well.

Skamania County Sheriff’s Office - 509-427-9490
Cowlitz County Sheriff’s Office - 360-577-3098
Lewis County Sheriff’s Office - 360-740-1105

Chip Down

Re: Popular Mount St. Helens Recreation Site Vandalized

Post by Chip Down » October 13th, 2021, 4:49 pm

According to local law enforcement officers, theft and vandalism on the forest are increasing significantly.
I'm shocked. :roll:
Degenerates will degenerate exactly as much as we allow. And we are absolutely allowing.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 13th, 2021, 4:56 pm

drm wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 2:01 pm
The public should call 911 or the county sheriff’s non-emergency phone line to report crimes.
I stopped bothering with 911. It's a joke. I literally, no exaggeration, watched a man on the ground held at gunpoint for 13 minutes, as I spoke with a 911 dispatcher giving a precise crisp description of people and vehicles. No response. Police were "too busy". Doing what?! FFS.

Last time I called 911 it was just for fun, to see the reaction I'd get. Reported a man shouting "I'm going to start killing people"!
Naturally, I didn't stick around, but I can just about guarantee there was no response.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 13th, 2021, 5:43 pm

Chip Down wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 4:49 pm
Degenerates will degenerate exactly as much as we allow. And we are absolutely allowing.
How about we not pursue this line of thought and leave it that if anyone has any useful information toward identifying those responsible, they should share it with the people in charge of 'not allowing' vandals to smash public facilities?

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 13th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Chip Down wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 4:56 pm
Last time I called 911 it was just for fun, to see the reaction I'd get. Reported a man shouting "I'm going to start killing people"! Naturally, I didn't stick around, but I can just about guarantee there was no response.
Not to put too fine a point on it, I hope you are kidding, because otherwise what you are describing here is yourself committing a crime. :shock:

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 13th, 2021, 5:54 pm

Aimless wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 5:47 pm
Chip Down wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 4:56 pm
Last time I called 911 it was just for fun, to see the reaction I'd get. Reported a man shouting "I'm going to start killing people"! Naturally, I didn't stick around, but I can just about guarantee there was no response.
Not to put too fine a point on it, I hope you are kidding, because otherwise what you are describing here is yourself committing a crime. :shock:
No, I didn't mean that I fabricated the event. It really did happen as I described. But I do see how my description could be interpreted as you did.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 13th, 2021, 6:28 pm

There is a TikTok stunt that challenges kids to damage restrooms. :evil:
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 14th, 2021, 6:08 am

I don't think it's funny to say that you reported a killing to 911 as a prank

hopefully there will be no trend of oregonhikers pranking 911 like tiktokkers breaking up school bathrooms

and now I'm making a joke of it, hmmm....

jdemott

Post by jdemott » October 14th, 2021, 8:22 am

Waffle Stomper wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 6:28 pm
There is a TikTok stunt that challenges kids to damage restrooms. :evil:
Maybe TikTok should pay to fix the restroom at Coldwater.

Seriously, what is the point of destroying something like that?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 14th, 2021, 5:36 pm

retired jerry wrote:
October 14th, 2021, 6:08 am
I don't think it's funny to say that you reported a killing to 911 as a prank
Wait, what?! Are you referring to my post above? Let me state as clearly as possible, I did not make a false report to 911! I made a truthful report, but did so with no hope of action, did it only for amusement purposes.