Multnomah Falls reservations return

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
squidvicious

Multnomah Falls reservations return

Post by squidvicious » July 9th, 2021, 4:26 pm

https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/2021/ ... ummer.html
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/crgnsa/a ... ?aid=67259

Once again reservations / tickets will be required to visit Multnomah Falls starting July 20 between 9 am and 6 pm daily, unless you arrive via mass transit (eg, CAT bus, Sasquatch Shuttle, etc). This is just to get to the falls area. You're still on your own with finding parking.

adamschneider

Re: Multnomah Falls reservations return

Post by adamschneider » July 10th, 2021, 9:39 pm

What if you hike in from Wahkeena?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 11th, 2021, 8:40 am

Wahkeena is unrestricted except in the fact that it is bound to fill up and become the usual traffic snarl after about 9:00 a.m. on weekends.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 11th, 2021, 2:55 pm

I'm sure it's no problem to get to Multnomah via the loop trail from Wahkeena (again, if you can park), but if you're just coming via the connector I think you're not going to be allowed past the plaza at Multnomah. When they had ticketing last summer that was how it was supposed to work, although tbh it was kind of half-assed and anyone who was determined to circumvent the system could have done so easily.

I'm usually getting back to my car to leave by that time, so it doesn't really affect me, but sucks if you have people visiting who want to do tourist stuff and have limited time.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 11th, 2021, 6:44 pm

This is disappointing, but the parking lot fills so fast, I guess something has to be done. I guess I'm going to need to get a cell phone if this reservation thing is going to effect places when I'm on vacation. Yuck, I hate the idea of being a slave to my technology. I go on vacation to get away from the phone. Is it really a vacation if that devil's device comes with you?

I'm not anti-technology: I love the digital camera and Ipod, but I'm not a fan of a device that rings and dings when I'm not asking it to)

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 12th, 2021, 5:18 am

But does this mean the return of that horrible chain link fencing?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 12th, 2021, 5:21 am

when the lot fills up it can impact freeway traffic?

maybe this is an example where reservations and limiting usage is reasonable

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » July 12th, 2021, 5:58 am

Last Tuesday, I went to Multnomah to do the M-W loop hike. When approaching on I-84 the reader boards said, Multnomah Exit Closed and the other on said Parking Lot Full. The lot was open! This was at 6:45am. The lot itself only had about 15 cars there at that time. When I finished at about 9am, I got coffee at the stand and asked about the reader boards. Person working there said that the signs read that all the time. Maybe this is part of a strategy to reduce visitors. When I left the lot was about 1/2 full. The parking by the lodge was about 2/3 full.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

dirtman

Post by dirtman » July 12th, 2021, 11:51 am

As I was heading east bound on Saturday, a car in front of me in the right lane came to a complete quick stop on the freeway and then made a sharp left turn to get to the exit. It was quite scary as other vehicles had to swerve. I wonder how many accidents occur because of people that make last minute decisions like that for an exit on the left.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 12th, 2021, 5:13 pm

dirtman wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 11:51 am
As I was heading east bound on Saturday, a car in front of me in the right lane came to a complete quick stop on the freeway and then made a sharp left turn to get to the exit. It was quite scary as other vehicles had to swerve. I wonder how many accidents occur because of people that make last minute decisions like that for an exit on the left.
That left exit has always been an issue with some unfamiliar drivers. Even though there is very clear signage. I've always believed that people just don't read.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir