Multnomah Falls reservations return

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
squidvicious

Re: Multnomah Falls reservations return

Post by squidvicious » July 12th, 2021, 5:34 pm

dirtman wrote:
July 12th, 2021, 11:51 am
As I was heading east bound on Saturday, a car in front of me in the right lane came to a complete quick stop on the freeway and then made a sharp left turn to get to the exit. It was quite scary as other vehicles had to swerve.
I've had that happen too. Then when they do change lanes, they're pulling right in front of all the people who swerved to avoid an accident when they stopped. Don't know how we didn't wind up with a massive pileup.

Hey, if they're requiring advanced tickets, maybe they can add in some kind of intelligence screening you also have to pass first? That would probably massively reduce crowds.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 13th, 2021, 5:31 am

maybe telling people that it's a left exit would be sufficient :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 13th, 2021, 12:06 pm

retired jerry wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 5:31 am
maybe telling people that it's a left exit would be sufficient :)
Yeah, it's a pretty simple solution. Maybe a sign that says "left exit" posted a mile or so west of the exit. If the gubmint can't get off their butts and make that happen, maybe we can volunteer in shifts to hold a sign, at least during peak tourist season.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 13th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Yup. It could look something like this. What could go wrong?
84Capture.PNG

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 13th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Yeah, something like that. Nice photoshop skills, that almost looks real!

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 13th, 2021, 5:42 pm

We buy 'em books, and buy em' books, and they just can't seem to read them.

Be happy they changed the exit to a straight shot into the parking lot, it used to be a clover leaf from the left lane into the parking lot. That didn't last long because of all the accidents.

Now the practice is just to stop in the left lane and wait for the line to move. Fortunately, I pass this place on my way to distant trailheads before the lot fills, it's just the return trip where I think I should arm the car with photon torpedoes. Damn Klingons.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 14th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Oh, can I tell a Multnomah story? Maybe a couple weeks ago, I was driving east on 84, and pulled into the lot, which was nearly empty at dawn. I didn't even stop, I just wanted a safe spot to retrieve something from my back seat without risking an accident. At the far (east) end, where the lot narrows to a single-lane back to 84, a guy was parked right in the bottleneck, standing next to his car taking pics of the falls. To legitimately park there, you literally just turn your steering wheel, and your car instantly goes right into a parking space. But nope, not this guy.

I know, you're all shocked this could happen, right? :o

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » July 15th, 2021, 6:22 am

Chip Down wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 8:32 pm

I know, you're all shocked this could happen, right? :o
Had a similar experience happen yesterday on the 504 to Mt St Helens on long, narrow bridge. Guy was stopped in the right lane with his door open. Looked like some old guy with Florida plates. Would have been ok if traffic was not coming from other direction. There were a lot of tourists on the road yesterday.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir