Clackamas County crews rescue 7 hikers near Ramona Falls

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
squidvicious

Clackamas County crews rescue 7 hikers near Ramona Falls

Post by squidvicious » June 9th, 2021, 12:32 pm

https://katu.com/news/local/clackamas-c ... mona-falls

This caught my attention because of this
When their inaccurate online information about their route left them on an impassable trail, the exhausted hikers decided to build a fire and camp for the night.
Assuming the "impassable trail" was the section of the TT, I was wondering how they would have wound up over there. Then I remembered: if you just put "Ramona Falls" into google maps for directions, instead of Ramona Falls trailhead, it directs you to sort of Top Spur trailhead (not even to, just the general area of, and then I guess you're supposed to bushwhack?). The reason I know this is there are a bunch of comments on alltrails from people who didn't question it and tried to go that way, and wound up stuck in the snow or just hopelessly confused.

Even if that doesn't turn out to be what happened with these people, those directions are obviously causing problems, and potentially dangerous. I do see an "edit the map" link on google maps, but it's not exactly intuitive, and I couldn't see how to edit it to direct people to the actual trailhead. Is that something that can be done?

dirtman

Re: Clackamas County crews rescue 7 hikers near Ramona Falls

Post by dirtman » June 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm

One would think that 1 person out of 7 would have a map or gps. The odds must be astronomical for this to happen.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » June 9th, 2021, 5:25 pm

I expect a lot of this to happen this year. Trails are still impassable from last year’s windstorms, and a lot more people are getting outdoors due to a multitude of reasons, mostly Covid-related.

I’m not surprised in the slightest.
instagram: @remyodyssey

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 9th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Based on the comments in this Facebook post it sounds like the group was using AllTrails.

People frequently think AllTrails is providing the directions when in fact that app it is dumping you into Google Maps. It still surprises me how many people use Google Maps to navigate on public land.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 9th, 2021, 9:32 pm

Not surprised either. Last week I came back down from camping in snow with my pack, poles, and gaiters. I passed a group of people wearing flip flops and swinging Nalgene bottles. I told them route finding was difficult up ahead because of snow and they should have gps or good route finding skills. “Ok, thanks”. Flip flop flip flop

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 9th, 2021, 9:45 pm

justpeachy wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 7:12 pm
It still surprises me how many people use Google Maps to navigate on public land.
I'm in that category. Sometimes I consult an alternate source, but of course an alternate map using the same data will be equally valid. One thing I won't do though: blithely continue on my merry way, positive the map couldn't possibly be wrong, until it's getting dark and it's raining and I realize I'm in trouble. If every map in the world was 100% accurate, we'd still have stories like this.

In another discussion a few days ago, a TR I believe, a SAR team member warned people to stay the heck off that trail, said they've already had to rescue a couple parties. [edit: it's linked in the OP above] I wonder if there are signs that people are ignoring. If so, that's easy to understand. If you've never seen the aftermath of severe storm damage, it's easy to scoff "some downed trees? Bah, I'll just climb over or around". No, you won't, you can't imagine how hard it is if you've never seen something like that.
Last edited by Chip Down on June 10th, 2021, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » June 10th, 2021, 4:47 am

A screen shot of the one the lost souls during the rescue. What's wrong with this picture?
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 05-43-32 Clackamas County Sheriff's Office.png
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 05-43-32 Clackamas County Sheriff's Office.png (155.42 KiB) Viewed 3572 times

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 10th, 2021, 5:00 am

What's wrong with this picture?
I would never wear sandals when hiking. Mosquito bites on the feet are miserable!

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » June 10th, 2021, 9:34 am

Last year it seemed to be a bummer that the wind storm was followed by fires. But now it seems that the areas that had fires might be easier to restore than this ridge.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

BClick

Post by BClick » June 10th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Chip Down wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 9:45 pm
In another discussion a few days ago, a TR I believe, a SAR team member warned people to stay the heck off that trail, said they've already had to rescue a couple parties. [edit: it's linked in the OP above] I wonder if there are signs that people are ignoring. If so, that's easy to understand. If you've never seen the aftermath of severe storm damage, it's easy to scoff "some downed trees? Bah, I'll just climb over or around". No, you won't, you can't imagine how hard it is if you've never seen something like that.
I bushwhack for a living, sort of (restoration / invasives control) and still managed to injure my knee pretty badly a couple weeks ago working in one of the closed Metro natural areas. Clearly hadn't been anyone on the little maintenance trails since at least the February ice storm if not the Labor Day winds.

Even as a frequent hiker, it's really not a danger that would ever have occured to me before I started climbing around in areas like that every day!