New Permitting System for Mt Rainier NP

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
drm

New Permitting System for Mt Rainier NP

Post by drm » February 19th, 2021, 10:55 am

Big changes this year

https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/ ... permit.htm

Short story:
1. All reservations going to recreation.gov.
2. Wonderland loop has a new lottery system.
3. One third of all permits will still be saved for same day walkup.

My impression is that most hardcore backpackers mostly use the same day system. And that will get better because now you will be able to look up availability to whatever your preferred destination is online before you go. As a relatively small national park that is very popular, Rainier will never be the place for those who prioritize flexibility and cheap. I typically go once a year and take a list of options for my same day permit, which usually are mostly off-Wonderland. If you want to use the car campgrounds, I think it's the same system as before.

leiavoia

Re: New Permitting System for Mt Rainier NP

Post by leiavoia » February 19th, 2021, 12:06 pm

I don't understand how this is significantly different. What am i missing?

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 19th, 2021, 1:39 pm

This article from WTA has additional details: https://www.wta.org/news/signpost/mount ... rmits-2021

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » February 19th, 2021, 2:00 pm

I'll give it a shot in two weeks. I'm looking to get a 10-day trip in September. I'll let you know how it goes.

It will be nice to just see campsite availability upfront like when buying movie tickets online. Thats better than taking a wild shot in the dark and hoping the entire plan gets approved as-is.

Last year i applied and got rejected, but 2 months later got a re-invite saying they could accommodate the original plan if i made a small change to campsites.