Huge Dodson landslide

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Dave Rappoccio

Huge Dodson landslide

Post by Dave Rappoccio » January 19th, 2021, 8:49 am

Didn't see anything posted here, so I was surprised to see 84 was partially closed when I was driving to the gorge this past weekend, then saw a huge landslide had covered the freeway exit to Dodson on Wednesday, where you'd turn off to go to the Yeon trailhead. Looks like the slide was big enough to smother a car and presumably kill the driver. They were still cleaning it from the road on MLK day and didn't look they could even start trying to clear much more yet.

https://katu.com/news/local/one-person- ... puties-say

bobcat

Re: Huge Dodson landslide

Post by bobcat » January 19th, 2021, 4:42 pm

It's been extensively reported. The road past the Eagle Creek picnic area to the trailhead was also covered in mud and debris which they're just now clearing up (the creek flooded over the road and there's just a lot of muck). They're finishing up on repairs to the big new bridge over Eagle Creek today. Yeon trailhead is closed because you can't get to it from the Ainsworth interchange. I wouldn't vouch for any trail in the Gorge west of Ainsworth as there are massive amounts of burn trees down and a lot of minor slides.

I know they've located the car of the missing person, but last I heard they haven't found her body. Sympathies to her loved ones. Such a random event.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » January 19th, 2021, 5:16 pm

bobcat wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 4:42 pm
I wouldn't vouch for any trail in the Gorge west of Ainsworth
Have you seen Wahclella Falls?
https://twitter.com/CRGNSA/status/1350204937905475584

(Note video, second post in thread)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 20th, 2021, 5:05 pm

bobcat wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 4:42 pm
Sympathies to her loved ones. Such a random event.
Thanks, bobcat.
Yeah, I was surprised to learn I'm distantly related (by marriage, not blood). I think maybe I met her at a wedding or something, long ago.