NY Times Editorial Calling for Repair of Timberline Trail

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Charley

NY Times Editorial Calling for Repair of Timberline Trail

Post by Charley » August 2nd, 2009, 7:40 am

I kid you not! Of course, the author is a northwest Oregonian (from near Newberg, I think), who now writes thoughtful editorials for the Times (he lives in New York). He took his daughter backpacking recently, and these are thoughts about kids in the wilderness:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/opini ... .html?_r=1

Enjoy.
Charley
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Grannyhiker

Re: NY Times Editorial Calling for Repair of Timberline Trail

Post by Grannyhiker » August 2nd, 2009, 1:51 pm

I can't believe we made the big time!

Excellent and thought-provoking article!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 2nd, 2009, 3:26 pm

Thank you for posting this link. There is no doubt that Americans are losing touch with the outdoors.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » August 2nd, 2009, 7:49 pm

Very interesting article and very true. As to the Timberline Trail, I was up there today for about 13 miles of exploring Elk Cove, Eden Park, Barret Spur and Carin Basin and there are things happening to improve it - dramatically. There are three crews of Northwest Conservation Youth Corps work on the trail and the feeder trails thereto. Right now, they are working all the trail from Elk Cove through Eden Park and Wy'east and into Carin Basin. There are three groups (or maybe four) of 12 each doing tread work, brushing out, rebuilding steps and putting in water bars and turnpikes. They are doing a great job and this should be encourged. Plus they are staying on the mountain for the full week. I'm pretty sure they are relocating to the east side after they have finished the north side and doing the same. All this is really promising. Now it is up to the US Forest Service to first and foremost get their act together and get totally new and accurate signage for the whole trail and its feeder trails and get it installed NOW (don't give me any guff about lack of funds, this is short money to get the signs working). Then, the USFS should get really going on the engineering alternatives on cross the Elliot Glacier wash-out. They have the money (I am told) for these studies but no one is pushing to make this happen and get going on how they are going to re-enginer this section of the trail (it can be done). I think the article said it best - this was built years ago during the depression and we can't even maintain it - we should be able to give a better gift to the future generations still to enjoy this lovely mountain and trail. Tom

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » August 2nd, 2009, 9:25 pm

Just above Zigzag Canyon on the Timberline last week, I saw a ranger sawing a branch - a 2' wide branch 8-10' over the trail. It posed no hazard and it impeded nothing. If FS personel get funding for that, then they should have the funding to cross Elliot glacier and complete the Timberline loop.

bcostley

Post by bcostley » August 3rd, 2009, 7:36 am

Excursionista wrote:Just above Zigzag Canyon on the Timberline last week, I saw a ranger sawing a branch - a 2' wide branch 8-10' over the trail. It posed no hazard and it impeded nothing.
Don't forget the Sasquatch. They use the trails too.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 3rd, 2009, 7:50 am

Remember that at that point you're on the Pacific Crest Trail, which must be maintained to horse standards.

beag

Post by beag » August 3rd, 2009, 8:48 pm

Tom, Approx how wide, deep, and angle of sides. 75k for planning seems an awful lot of money. Could they helicopter in a couple of logs and then nail some 2 bys. I've never seen the Elliot crossing so it may be too wide for logs.

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » August 3rd, 2009, 9:50 pm

[quote="Grannyhiker"]Remember that at that point you're on the Pacific Crest Trail, which must be maintained to horse standards.quote]

Yes. You're correct. I'd forgotten that.

So, why can't they fix the Elliot crossing?

A rider can duck under a branch and a hiker can step over a log, but no one can get past the Elliot glacier crossing without risk. And that, to me, is unacceptable.

The Timberline Trail is one of the nation's premier hikes. It needs to be safely navigable. Who requires the PCT to be maintained for horses? Who requires the Timberline to be maintained for hikers?

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't think so. No offense to any on this board, but I am 100% in favor of fixing the trail, even at the expense of other, lesser used trails.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 4th, 2009, 6:03 am

It's easy to chop off a branch, expensive and time consuming to fix Eliot