Big Hollow (Trapper Creek) Fire article

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
drm

Big Hollow (Trapper Creek) Fire article

Post by drm » November 28th, 2020, 12:12 pm

https://columbiainsight.org/opinion-2/

Some history of the area, a journalist gets a hosted tour of some of the closed area.

bushwhacker

Re: Big Hollow (Trapper Creek) Fire article

Post by bushwhacker » November 29th, 2020, 6:02 am

Thanks for posting this link.

Nice to see that there is a opening date goal of Spring 2021 ('Because USFS recreation managers are concerned that burned trees could fall and harm hikers, the Trapper Creek Wilderness remains closed. It will likely reopen in Spring 2021.').

One would think that the trails on the west side of Howe Ridge could open up in the Spring. Maybe not so much on the east side / Big Hollow side. I guess I have more faith in the GPFS getting stuff done then what has been shown so far over on the Oregon side of the river.

drm

Re: Big Hollow (Trapper Creek) Fire article

Post by drm » November 29th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Yes, that's what I've heard, trails in the Trapper Creek canyon are most likely to open up next spring since the fire was low intensity. The Big Hollow Trail could take longer. Trails up on the rim, like the back side short trail to Observation Peak, are kind of a wildcard.