Clark glacier is no more

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
sgyoung

Clark glacier is no more

Post by sgyoung » October 20th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Interesting article from OPB about recent surveys of Oregon's glaciers, and specifically the apparent loss of the Clark glacier on South Sister.

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/10/19/ ... shrinking/

I am keen to follow the new research group that is mentiones in this article. I've wondered whether some of the glaciers in central OR still met the technical definition, so I am glad someone is systematically looking at this.

I wonder if any similar WA-based research is going on. Even some of the seemingly safer glaciers in the north Cascades seem unwell and marginal (based on my naive observation).

Chip Down

Re: Clark glacier is no more

Post by Chip Down » October 25th, 2020, 11:10 am

I've seen a couple news stories on this. While I'm pleased it's considered newsworthy, I wish there was a little more technical discussion, and a little less climate hand-wringing. Specifically, I wish they had revealed the criteria used to declare it stagnant. Did they place markers and track movement? Did they simply look for summer crevasses? Is there any data on depth?

Slightly off topic: I'm excited at what's happening on St Helens. I hope in my lifetime we get to see Crater Glacier spilling over Loowit Falls. Wouldn't that be an amazing sight? Unlikely, I concede. If I was a gifted artist, I'd create an image of what that might look like.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » October 27th, 2020, 11:04 pm

I attended a zoom presentation by the main researchers for the Oregon Glacier Institute and they did a good job explaining thier methods. They considered a few factors, including ice depth and rate of movement to determine which glaciers were stagnant. As usual the press coverage is superficial, but the science was solid.

I'd recommend keeping an eye out for any upcoming virtual workshops. They had a rolling q&a which is a good opportunity to dig for more info.

Agreed on Crater Glacier, btw. It's exciting to have such a unique ice feature in our backyard, but also a bummer that a growing glacier is a novelty.

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » December 23rd, 2020, 7:25 am

Article published today about Oregon's Glaciers--a follow on to earlier reporting.

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/12/23/ ... cier-loss/

Happy Holidays!!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.