Memaloose Lake

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
RobFromRedland

Re: Memaloose Lake

Post by RobFromRedland » October 11th, 2020, 2:28 pm

justpeachy wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 6:47 am
Wow, they were planning to do thinning up Fish Creek? They decommissioned the entire road network up there after the 1996 floods so I wonder how they were planning to accomplish that. Rebuild the roads?

I heard that hiking up the old decommissioned Fish Creek Road was getting pretty challenging because of the brush. Now brush won't be the problem but hundreds of burned fallen snags.
I had not heard there were any thinning plans either. It was amazing how well nature was reclaiming that area and it was getting more challenging to hike due to all the brush. It will probably be essentially impassable now, especially with the soil instability. I'm sure there will be LOTS of slides this winter due to the lack of vegetation.

On the topic of this thread - Memaloose lake appears to have mostly missed serious damage. Looks like a bit of higher severity areas but the lake itself looks mostly untouched. South Fork Mountain and beyond is a different story, however. That looks to mostly high intensity burn.

I'm wondering if there is going to be a call for large scale salvage logging followed by replanting?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW-What a ride!