Person tumbles over Latourell Falls in gorge

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.

fettster

Re: Person tumbles over Latourell Falls in gorge

Post by fettster » July 28th, 2009, 4:15 pm

Looks like the gentleman is confirmed dead:

http://www.katu.com/outdoors/news/51931467.html

No details on what happened, but definitely a reminder to be smart out there.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » July 28th, 2009, 6:14 pm

That is a truly horrifying and tragic story. It reminds me of the photo Tom posted several months ago when he saw a man walking right on the rim of Latourell. That little trail that runs down to the rim needs to be fully rehabbed and a sign posted on its entrance to the trail marking it off limits (similar to the Perdition trail sign). With as many families with kids running around that trail, etc... and the extreme easy access of Latourell, it needs more safety measures installed to prevent horrific accidents such as this.

On a similar note, I am thoroughly disgusted with the commenters on that article. That so many heartless *%$#@*'s live here is tragic. I couldn't believe my eyes as I read some of those.

-Zach

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 28th, 2009, 7:45 pm

I've found it best not to read the comments on any news story. From the ones I have read (at the risk of losing my latest meal) it seems to be the same small group of horrible people each time, regardless of the subject.

I'm not sure it's possible to keep the "social trails" closed. After seeing the damage from switchback cutters on the Multnomah Falls trail, including breaking down that lovely cedar fence that Rick's Custom Fencing put in a couple of years ago, I'm beginning to think that only lots of razor wire will do the job.

sarbar

Post by sarbar » August 25th, 2009, 9:12 am

Granny, I was thinking of this a couple weeks ago when my husband and I stopped by Nooksack Falls (we get there maybe every 2-3 years). They had many deaths for a long time - people going over fences, climbing on rocks, etc.
But since they put up a LARGE memorial right at the entrance listing every person who has died, with age and who they were....it has been a decade since anyone died.

Maybe that worked? A sharp and sad reminder that it isn't worth it?
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Gear & Beyond.....Outdoor Food Simplified: http://www.trailcooking.com/

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 27th, 2009, 10:41 pm

That's sort of the approach with the memorial above Horsetail Falls and the "glacial stream crossing" signs that appeared at Mount Hood. If they help save some damned fool from getting himself/herself killed, then great -- but even better, if they keep rescuers from having to risk THEIR safety to bail out some damned fool, then it's worth the effort ten-fold..! :)

Zach, here's the pics you were thinking of... speaking of some damned fool (and his girlfriend). You can't quite pick it out, but he was wearing flip flops (of course):

This was not the worst case, though. These were taken last year, but three or four years ago, I watched a young family WADE across the brink of the falls..! I was down at the base with my camera set up, but it made me sick to even look... much less photograph what they were doing. Ugh.

Tom :shock: