Gorge partial reopening today

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
squidvicious

Gorge partial reopening today

Post by squidvicious » May 27th, 2020, 1:31 pm

https://katu.com/news/local/some-columb ... -wednesday
http://readysetgorge.columbiagorgetourismalliance.org/

Slightly confused because it lists Larch Mtn Recreation area as open, but the county shows the road as still closed. Though I do seem to recall last year they were slow to update that (and take down several closed signs). Assuming you can get to it, I wonder if that means you're good to access any of the connecting trails (excepting the waterfall viewing platforms)?

Bosterson

Re: Gorge partial reopening today

Post by Bosterson » May 27th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Larch Mtn Rd is closed at MP 10 for the winter still, they don't usually un-gate it until June. Presumably what this means is that now you're allowed to drive up to the snow gate and go hike from there, whereas before when the whole scenic area was closed due to COVID, you couldn't do that.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 28th, 2020, 5:12 am

Thank you.

drm

Post by drm » May 28th, 2020, 7:28 am

This is nice news. I had thought Gorge openings would be delayed longer. The various trails out of Herman Ck offer some great snow-free early season EG hikes to get in shape. But I will wait till after the initial rush.